BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

The answer is in the question, and the question is why? Why do you want to cross the Welsummer with another breed?

I like the Welsummers for their size and foraging ability. I am not impressed with the laying but I cannot tell when they lay compared to the others. They have a nice broad back and big drummies which is a must since I am using him for meat and Orpington or Barred Rock as egg layers.

This is my roo.

I like the Welsummers for their size and foraging ability. I am not impressed with the laying but I cannot tell when they lay compared to the others. They have a nice broad back and big drummies which is a must since I am using him for meat and Orpington or Barred Rock as egg layers.

This is my roo.

You like them for the size? It sounds like you want a bigger bird for meat, but the other two breeds you mentioned should be larger. It is interesting that you mention using these for meat and the Orpingtons and Rocks for eggs. The Welsummer should be smaller and lighter than the other two breeds.

You say they do not lay as well as the others, but you cannot tell when they lay? Are their eggs not their own shade of color?

Where did you get your birds from?

You like them for the size? It sounds like you want a bigger bird for meat, but the other two breeds you mentioned should be larger. It is interesting that you mention using these for meat and the Orpingtons and Rocks for eggs. The Welsummer should be smaller and lighter than the other two breeds.

You say they do not lay as well as the others, but you cannot tell when they lay? Are their eggs not their own shade of color?

Where did you get your birds from?

Are Welsummers are bigger than both the orps and Barred Rocks.

They came from Meyer hatchery we are done buying birds from a hatchery now. Either we will hatch our own mutts or from a breeder.

My welsummers came from Meyers, the roo I kept is pictured as my avatar at about five months, his tail feathers are much longer now. He's the one I kept because his colors were the nicest, AND he was slightly smaller than the RIR cockerel and they are supposed to be smaller. Two other wellie cockerels were as big as the RIR, and colors were dull. Only one out of three pullets had correct color on the neck. I don't think Meyers has breeder quality welsummers, but I did get two that look like they are supposed to.
Her eggs are always spotted, various shades of brown but definitely darker than other brown egg layers. She has been laying very good this subzero winter.
I like them because of they are pretty birds and the eggs are cool, but any of the other duel purpose birds would make better meat IMO.

Are Welsummers are bigger than both the orps and Barred Rocks.

They came from Meyer hatchery we are done buying birds from a hatchery now. Either we will hatch our own mutts or from a breeder.

OK. I get where you are coming from.

I do not think that your solution is crossing your Welsummer with one of your others. Other than the potential of some added vigor, the results are generally predictable to be intermediate between the two. In other words, outside of the initial cross, you will see results smaller than your largest, and larger than your smallest.

So I'm not quite caught up on how we got to Wellsummers.

I went to Coastal Farm Supply on Friday. I always lock my car, but forgot and someone stole my really crappy laptop.

My sale on chicken feed ended up costing me the price of this new computer, but I must say I am thrilled to have a device that will allow me to edit photos and such with ease.

That ro at the top of the page is very handsome!!!!!

hellbender, thanks, sorta. After you mate rooster A to Hen B do you have to mate any of the chicks back to A or B to complete the process of the offspring repeating?

Go back and read my response again, perhaps twice and look at every work. I'm quite sure I covered that in detail.
th.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom