BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I love them too! I now find them absolutely beautiful and they have fantastic personalities. As far as processing is concerned, I really don't know. This is my first experience with NNs, but I can tell you that at 6 weeks, my largest cockerel already weighs 1.5 pounds.

2. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, I guess her's will be, mine doesn't have the NN gene so they will be fully feathered I hope. Hard real feathers too not silkie fluff. Should make for hardier birds. I'm going to line breed them and have plenty of black meat chicken soup once I get a flock of them. Fibro meat cures cancer and many diseases and reverses the aging process, read up on it. Woohoo! Gunna live forever! Lol!

3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Yes...we used pure bred Australorp cocks over the young hybrid pullets. This was a laying flock and this system worked well for us.

'F-1' indicates that it is the first filial cross of two purebred animals...chickens in this case.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Breeding F-1 back to a parent is what you did?

5. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    YES.

EDIT:I know that's contrary to plausible breeding practices but I did what my dad told me to do since he was the boss. I know it would head right back to the median but neither my dad nor grand dad wanted to hear anything about it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  6. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    A little bit of genetics 101 short hand:
    P generation is the parental generation. (This is the stage I am at right now, selecting my P gen.)
    F1 is first filial generation, the offspring of the P gen.
    F2 is second filial generation, the offspring of at least one F1 parent.
    F3, F4, etc continue. This shorthand is mostly associated with Mendelian genetics and the famous Punnet square. Works great with autosomal dominant/recessive ... kinda works with incomplete or co-dominant (autosomal, again) and goes flying out of the window with sex-linked genes. I enjoyed my intro to genetics semester.

P gen does not necessarily need to be purebred, nor do they need to be different breeds/varieties, they are just the parental generation you start with. In my case, P gen will composed of hatchery GLWs and black phase BLR from Luanne, which is technically a variety cross although both will be Wyandotte.

2 people like this.
  7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    So, if you know...why ask?

8. dfr1973

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I didn't. [​IMG] I was only elaborating on your post.

I should probably change my avatar to something more girllie than my rooster. [​IMG]

9. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I need a nap and and one of my 'vitamins'...That will get me straightened out and give my mind a rest. Haven't slept well for a a couple nights due to pretty severe pain,,,,I'll bee back when I get my head on straight!!!!

[​IMG]

10. dfr1973

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    If you do not have a pain pill that works for you, a few tips: Take a HOT bath. If you have a heating pad, use it (unless it's a headache). Warm beverage that will help you sleep. A bit of a massage, even if it is not where you hurt.

VA took away my effective pain med and instead gave me (and MANY others!) a class on how to cope/understand chronic pain. Like college, I figure this is y'all's tax dollars at work, so I am happy to share. The big take-away is that pain, sleep, mood, and stress are all related and affect each other (same region of the brain does all four), so if one acts up, all end up being impacted. Another bit of somewhat-useful trivia: the nerves that carry pain signals cannot carry both pressure sensation and pain signals at the same time ... some of the pain signals get "dropped" for the pressure signals, which is why rubbing a sore shoulder helps a bit. Heat also works in place of pressure - although it does most when combined.

Go rest up, and feel better! I understand this much better than I ever wanted to understand.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by