BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

The fibro means they are fibromelanistic like a Silkie. Black skin and all that.

Beer can - So they're almost like Showgirls, but useful? :lol:  

That's awesome! So someone breed for the black skin and silkie feathering but in a bird that is worthwhile to put on the dinner table? I have been DYING to eat a silkie, just want to know if there is that much difference in taste or if it is a waste of time and should just be ornamental.

Well, the birds being discussed are Ayam Cemani x Naked Neck. The offspring don't have silkie feathering and Beer can is getting the birds being culled due to not having the NN trait. I would think the cross would be hardier than the Cemani (I understand they don't tolerate cooler climates well) and meatier as well.

I personally keep thinking about crossing my Langshan cock over Silkie hens for a larger broody hen.

If I can get my hands on a pure cemani cockerel cheap enough, the prices have dropped drasticly, everyone just haven't got the message yet, I would like to try a cemani langshan cross. I might try what I'm getting with a langshan and see if they come out fibro, couldn't hurt to try, I can eat them anyway. My goal is a flock of meaty fibro birds, don't really care for the whole cemani hoopla, their cool birds but the breeders are insane. Figured cross of cemani would give a better chance of attaining my goal with a hardier bird than if a silkie was used. And cemanis are a little bit bigger than a silkie.

If I can get my hands on a pure cemani cockerel cheap enough, the prices have dropped drasticly, everyone just haven't got the message yet, I would like to try a cemani langshan cross. I might try what I'm getting with a langshan and see if they come out fibro, couldn't hurt to try, I can eat them anyway. My goal is a flock of meaty fibro birds, don't really care for the whole cemani hoopla, their cool birds but the breeders are insane. Figured cross of cemani would give a better chance of attaining my goal with a hardier bird than if a silkie was used. And cemanis are a little bit bigger than a silkie.

Since Cemani only lay 70 eggs a year, it will be a bit longer before the price comes down. It will be a couple more years and then they will be similar in price to bresse.

Since Cemani only lay 70 eggs a year, it will be a bit longer before the price comes down. It will be a couple more years and then they will be similar in price to bresse.

I was told $400 for a good pure roo yikes!!!
Since then the price through GreenFire went from $3,000 a year to $200 a chick. I was going to buy, and still might cemani redleghorn cross eggs at $20 each. I recently saw pure cemani hatching eggs on the auction thread for $120 for six, shipping included. I can pick up the crossed eggs though and not worry about the shipping. Hatching eggs has me scared, hearing how good most people's hatches has been, and I haven't hatched myself yet. Maybe I can talk him into hatching them for me....
Edited to add your probably right about prices not coming down everywhere, GFF is probably sold out, and nobody is going to drop their price to much if they are still selling.

Last edited:
gjensen

gjensen, Why? I call it shoring up the foundation and strengthening 2 breeds to create a better utility breed. The percentage of transfering genetic traits and features can be minimal or gigantic gains depending on the unrelated or related parent breeds used. At least that would be my goal. That being said, I dont think some explorers have a clue of whats involved or the know how to go about it. I surely dont and am always seeking advice from mentors in the know on this subject. I give credit to those with ambition to change or create. The sad part is that they lack the scientific background or knowledge to do it. Lego blocks are fun to play with, but if you havent really made anything constructive, its time to put the blocks back in the box.

Our Roost, it is not clear what you are asking why to. I am assuming that you are referring to where I asked the poster why, or maybe where I suggested that they will not accomplish their stated goals using what they suggested.

The rest of the post is to general to respond to. If there is something specific that you want to discuss, I can attempt to respond intelligently. I think that I know where you are going, but I do not want to start by going in circles. I have made that mistake on here before.

I was answering the "why" with my own reasoning behind what "my"Some goals are. Trust I wasnt challenging anyone or yourself. I just read alot about people crossing chickens and ask the same question. Some people just wanna see what they get and dont have a goal or mindset of what they are doing. They are curious and just do it to do it.

That's awesome! So someone breed for the black skin and silkie feathering but in a bird that is worthwhile to put on the dinner table? I have been DYING to eat a silkie, just want to know if there is that much difference in taste or if it is a waste of time and should just be ornamental.

Silkies taste like chicken....no different than any other chicken.
wink.png

Thankyou so much Hellbender! Iam crossing bielefelders wih blue orpingtons. Both dual purpose good meat birds that develop at a pretty fair rate. I hope they sex at birth and repeat after the crosses are complete. I dont want a hybrid, I want a new breed line I can call my own and name it.

Back
Top Bottom