BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Castor oil really works for pain. Works longer and better than OTC pain meds for me....can alleviate or diminish pain to that area for 3-4 days and sometimes longer.

2. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    That's awesome! So someone breed for the black skin and silkie feathering but in a bird that is worthwhile to put on the dinner table? I have been DYING to eat a silkie, just want to know if there is that much difference in taste or if it is a waste of time and should just be ornamental.

3. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Well, the birds being discussed are Ayam Cemani x Naked Neck. The offspring don't have silkie feathering and Beer can is getting the birds being culled due to not having the NN trait. I would think the cross would be hardier than the Cemani (I understand they don't tolerate cooler climates well) and meatier as well.

I personally keep thinking about crossing my Langshan cock over Silkie hens for a larger broody hen.

4. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    If I can get my hands on a pure cemani cockerel cheap enough, the prices have dropped drasticly, everyone just haven't got the message yet, I would like to try a cemani langshan cross. I might try what I'm getting with a langshan and see if they come out fibro, couldn't hurt to try, I can eat them anyway. My goal is a flock of meaty fibro birds, don't really care for the whole cemani hoopla, their cool birds but the breeders are insane. Figured cross of cemani would give a better chance of attaining my goal with a hardier bird than if a silkie was used. And cemanis are a little bit bigger than a silkie.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Since Cemani only lay 70 eggs a year, it will be a bit longer before the price comes down. It will be a couple more years and then they will be similar in price to bresse.

6. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I was told $400 for a good pure roo yikes!!!
    Since then the price through GreenFire went from $3,000 a year to $200 a chick. I was going to buy, and still might cemani redleghorn cross eggs at $20 each. I recently saw pure cemani hatching eggs on the auction thread for $120 for six, shipping included. I can pick up the crossed eggs though and not worry about the shipping. Hatching eggs has me scared, hearing how good most people's hatches has been, and I haven't hatched myself yet. Maybe I can talk him into hatching them for me....
    Edited to add your probably right about prices not coming down everywhere, GFF is probably sold out, and nobody is going to drop their price to much if they are still selling.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    gjensen

I was answering the "why" with my own reasoning behind what "my"Some goals are. Trust I wasnt challenging anyone or yourself. I just read alot about people crossing chickens and ask the same question. Some people just wanna see what they get and dont have a goal or mindset of what they are doing. They are curious and just do it to do it.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Silkies taste like chicken....no different than any other chicken. [​IMG]

9. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    Was wondering if it was like a lot of dark meat or if it is the same as any other chicken just a different color. Guess so.

10. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Thankyou so much Hellbender! Iam crossing bielefelders wih blue orpingtons. Both dual purpose good meat birds that develop at a pretty fair rate. I hope they sex at birth and repeat after the crosses are complete. I dont want a hybrid, I want a new breed line I can call my own and name it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by