BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

In my own personal experience, I have encountered lots of unexpected roosters within the flock. You just cant tell the girls to hatch hens only! You can get saddled with a number of roosters very quickly. I have found that some breeds have more difficult behavior than others. The heritage of a breed and inherent factors can be a big contributor to your roosters behavior possibly. In days of yore, certain birds were raised for a sport known as cock fighting. Temperments and other factors made these birds perfect selections for breeding for that purpose. Not to say this hasnt been bred out of the birds you own but the hidden factors could still remain. Add to that the roosters purpose in life is to not only protect the flock but also reproduce. If for any reason they feel you pose a threat to their purpose or the flock, guess what, you just became their enemy! Some roosters I can manage well and work with and others I cannot. When I say work with, I mean handling and holding as much as possible. I spend more time with roosters than hens. Most seem to learn that I pose no threat, but some are still buggers. They go in the pot. Roosters have their own pecking order the same as hens do on a different level. Some can stay together and others cannot or will not last. Trust that they do compete for the ladies among other things. Its just natures way in the world of chickens. Hope you get a good one!

'proper roo behavior' made me laugh, lol....

I agree it seems likely linked to management. I can also imagine how a subordinate male would rush in, down and dirty, without any fanfare. Aside from these considerations I find the behavior charming to see~ I guess it appeals to my own female sensibilities
roll.png

As an aside, I've found it pretty fascinating to see 2 week old cockerels strutting, mock fighting and trying to thump each other. I had no idea such behavior would start so early! It is so rough and tumble compared to the pullets.

M

You will occasionally get a "nutty bird", and in some lines the courtship behavior does not run particularly strong.

Look, I am a man, and I like their natural behaviors. I have pointed them out to my boys repeatedly. I want them to have an appreciation for it. That they let the hens eat first, call the hens to treats, that they are the first to die (LOL), the courtship displays, etc. etc. My wife remarks on them. When I hear of some say that do not want a "roo", I say to myself that they do not know what they are missing. I cannot imagine a flock of hens without one. There is a social cohesion that cannot be achieved otherwise.

Some lines even have males that help raise the chicks. This is not especially uncommon among some strains of gamecocks (say it isn't so LOL). Many remark on their Ko Shamo being like this. A friend of mine that breeds Ams has males like this. The hens are also very broody, and good mothers.

When we lose their more "natural" behaviors, we lose a lot.

The cock has long been admired for his character. Shakespear mentioned the gamecock as being one of the three most noble of creatures.

So I am certainly not saying that it has no value. I am only saying that once we have purchased into a line, that we have what we have, and we cannot have it all. And that the vast majority of the time, the males act normally, and do what they should. All of mine do.

In commercial lines it is a bit different. But we have bred the broodiness out of the hens. The behaviors are linked. The males that have the stronger instincts often come from lines that have stronger brooding instincts. That is why I say that we cannot have it all. We cannot complain about broody hens and cocks that do not do as they should in the same breath. That would not make sense. Not to mention that the lines that this is the strongest in is often strains that do not take well to be separated and put back together. They do not take to newcomers well, and are competitive. The more "natural" they are the more "naturally" they behave. We could go all of the way back to jungle fowl, but that is not what we want.

Personally, in my old age, I have come to appreciate broody hens etc. I enjoy the natural behaviors. Much that I like about my Catalanas are these more natural behaviors. They strike a good balance for my tastes and interests.

In my own personal experience, I have encountered lots of unexpected roosters within the flock. You just cant tell the girls to hatch hens only! You can get saddled with a number of roosters very quickly. I have found that some breeds have more difficult behavior than others. The heritage of a breed and inherent factors can be a big contributor to your roosters behavior possibly. In days of yore, certain birds were raised for a sport known as cock fighting. Temperments and other factors made these birds perfect selections for breeding for that purpose. Not to say this hasnt been bred out of the birds you own but the hidden factors could still remain. Add to that the roosters purpose in life is to not only protect the flock but also reproduce. If for any reason they feel you pose a threat to their purpose or the flock, guess what, you just became their enemy! Some roosters I can manage well and work with and others I cannot. When I say work with, I mean handling and holding as much as possible. I spend more time with roosters than hens. Most seem to learn that I pose no threat, but some are still buggers. They go in the pot. Roosters have their own pecking order the same as hens do on a different level. Some can stay together and others cannot or will not last. Trust that they do compete for the ladies among other things. Its just natures way in the world of chickens. Hope you get a good one!

This is a common misconception. Gamecocks bred by good old breeders are often the easiest to handle of all of the breeds. What makes a gamecock not just an ordinary cock, is that they will not give up. All male birds want to fight other males. That is what they do. Game cocks are game, because they will go all of the way, where others will quit and run. Not to mention that they have been bred for physical characteristics that makes them able.

I have no interest in the sport, but I do admire the breeds. I have been around a lot, handled a lot, and had a few. They are not what people imply based on perceptions and misrepresentations. They are no more likely to be man fighters than any other breed, and even less likely. These breeds have them to, because they have ignorant people breeding them like any other breed.

This is a common misconception. Gamecocks bred by good old breeders are often the easiest to handle of all of the breeds. What makes a gamecock not just an ordinary cock, is that they will not give up. All male birds want to fight other males. That is what they do. Game cocks are game, because they will go all of the way, where others will quit and run. Not to mention that they have been bred for physical characteristics that makes them able.

I have no interest in the sport, but I do admire the breeds. I have been around a lot, handled a lot, and had a few. They are not what people imply based on perceptions and misrepresentations. They are no more likely to be man fighters than any other breed, and even less likely. These breeds have them to, because they have ignorant people breeding them like any other breed.
Be careful with this topic--It's against the rules to post about that "sport".

Be careful with this topic--It's against the rules to post about that "sport".

I appreciate your concern, but I was not engaging in the topic of fighting. Nor was I was promoting it. I made it clear that I have no interest in the sport. It was informational concerning the breeds, and their context in history. Like it or not, they have influence in every breed that we have. You cannot possibly fully discuss poultry history or their behavior without discussing gamecock breeds. They were kept for thousands of years before we ever even thought of selecting for eggs.

And there are threads for that on this site. The gamecock breeds are represented as you know.

I did not break my interpretation of the rules, and I am not certain what your implying that I should be careful of. If I cannot discuss poultry history or behavior, then I am in the wrong place. For 99.9% of America, the sport is history. This site should only be concerned with here and now, and those that discuss it as here and now, or promote it here and now. I could certainly understand that being a concern.

Take a broom into the run with you. If he gets feisty with you give a good hit not enough to hurt him just to show dominance. My roos from breeds that are supposedly mean aren't mean at all but I never handled them like the hens. We did have 2 Barred Rocks that were men but I fixed that. They went to a relatives and lived how chickens did hundreds of years ago.

Some great advice here on cockerel/rooster behavior. I will add my 2 cents with pics to demonstrate normal cockerel behavior.

Here are a couple of nearly one year olds. They are full brothers & come from a breed known for being docile. This is perfectly normal. They put on a good show, no blood is shed & then they're back to pecking around. These spats were very short in duration and I witnessed this only maybe 3 times in their life together. One brother ended up submitting to his role in the flock, but he was known to sneak in a breeding now & then. ;) Sometimes the other would, as Ron mentioned, knock the 'inferior' cockerel/rooster off.

Here are 2 young cockerels just entering puberty. Nothing to worry about. Raging hormones are a normal part of growing up & blood is never shed in these short quarrels.

In all my short 5 years of raising poultry, I can say I've only had one aggressive rooster. A RIR that would come after me & my friend when she came to visit. All others naturally give me my space & don't even bother with me.

I appreciate your concern, but I was not engaging in the topic of fighting. Nor was I was promoting it. I made it clear that I have no interest in the sport. It was informational concerning the breeds, and their context in history. Like it or not, they have influence in every breed that we have. You cannot possibly fully discuss poultry history or their behavior without discussing gamecock breeds. They were kept for thousands of years before we ever even thought of selecting for eggs.

And there are threads for that on this site. The gamecock breeds are represented as you know.

I did not break my interpretation of the rules, and I am not certain what your implying that I should be careful of. If I cannot discuss poultry history or behavior, then I am in the wrong place. For 99.9% of America, the sport is history. This site should only be concerned with here and now, and those that discuss it as here and now, or promote it here and now. I could certainly understand that being a concern.
I agree--but I have seen the mods come down on post that say what Our roost posted and then was quoted.

If more discussion happens, Guaranteed, the posts will be moderated. I do not have a problem but know that it is trouble, like mentioning a certain animal rescue group.

Once again, not implying anything just BYC stuff.

Take a broom into the run with you. If he gets feisty with you give a good hit not enough to hurt him just to show dominance. My roos from breeds that are supposedly mean aren't mean at all but I never handled them like the hens. We did have 2 Barred Rocks that were men but I fixed that. They went to a relatives and lived how chickens did hundreds of years ago.

One of my Silkie cockerels had begun to nip me when I entered the run. I grabbed him by the legs and carried him around upside down for a while before finally releasing him and he hasn't been a problem since. He gives me plenty of space and respect. I may try the same tactic with this BR, but only once. If it doesn't put him in his place, he's dinner....and he'll be the first bird I'll have ever slaughtered. Not quite the way I was hoping to learn the process, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom