BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

it is NOT a "sport" it is a CRIME.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Yeah I have learned Barred Rocks can be nasty.

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    It is a sport that is also a crime. It would meet both definitions.

Like I said, for 99.999% of America, and the world, it is history. But the breeds are still here, and they have their place among Cochins, Rocks, and Reds, etc. The vast majority that have them now admire the breed and have no interest in what they used to be used for.

The birds themselves are just chickens.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    So true!!

6. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

2 people like this.
  7. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My fathers RIR rooster when I was a kid was a man killer, but he was good with the hens and the chicks. He was one of those roosters that helped to raise chicks. I personally will never have one, I'm not going tomake my kids deal with it. Even if it wasn't genetic I'm sure it could be
    learned behavior, the chicks see how dad acts....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    So... how 'bout them broodies?

[​IMG]

Our hatchery Black Langshan hen went broody, hatched out a sizeable clutch, and has happily accepted the fosters I gave her after losing over half her chicks to crows. We're keeping her cooped up now for most of the day with limited time free-ranging when we can watch, at least until the chicks are larger. I like the crows because they chase away the hawks, but I don't think they need chicken nuggets for breakfast.

1 person likes this.
  9. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I think it makes it easier to transition to butchering your own birds if the first one is a snarky rooster. Sounds bad but it's the truth. Our first one was a problem like the one you mentioned - pecking us and grabbing skin and twisting. We did have one that was fine in the beginning but then for no reason turned into a full-out fighter that just would not submit to us being the boss and tried to spur us in the face while we were bent over. It was a relief when we ate him and no longer had to mess with him anymore. He was good with his hens, but had no respect for people and we were not going to live with that forever. Very few of our males are able to live together except while they are still cockerels from the same hatch that are growing out. But that doesn't translate into being people-aggressive. They are just territorial when it comes to other male chickens being in their space. We even have two sons from our worst fighter but they did not get their father's temperament or they would have been dinner a long time ago.

10. mayble

mayble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Like pitbulls with feathers - the same traits and the same misconceptions.
    A fighting dog who wouldn't let a handler, even a stranger, tend its wounds was a dead dog. They were meant to be naturally submissive to people. Unfortunately that very valuable trait has been lost by careless breeding.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by