BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Speaking of crimes...I was chased into my own summer-kitchen about 18 months ago by a hefty NN cock. He was around 10 pounds and thought he could lick the world. As I breached the threshold, I tripped on something and went down on one knee and with precision timing, said bird sunk two formidable spurs into my ample behind.

Yes it hurt but mostly, I was offended. I hadn't run from a chicken since I was 8 or 9 years old so I really disappointed myself when I reacted so quickly and dispatched this beautiful bird. Most people I told about it (including Walt) applauded and relayed a similar experience of his own but I really liked the bird and could have dealt with him in a better way....that is a wetter way for OUR operation.

2 people like this.
  2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Do birds with thick legs make better broilers or are thick legs just a good thing to have??

3. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Thick legs are certainly great to have in almost any maturing stage of growth but especially if they come with a thick and broad breast!!!

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    The roo I am using a Welsummer. What do you think of his legs and breast??

[​IMG]

5. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I would like to see one like him denuded. It's really difficult to judge the bird from this angle but from what I've read, they are reasonably meaty birds!!

6. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    To my eye, he looks a bit flat-breasted. Keep in mind I have been studying Wyandotte pics and illustrations, along with having a few here. It's hard to tell about his legs - if you can get a better pic of him out in the light it would help. I do understand chickens will never strike the right pose when you have the camera ready! As Ron points out, the real test is what is under the feathers, so unless you plan to slaughter him, you'll have to rely on how meaty he feels. None of us can tell that part, so the big thing is: Do you feel he is a good rooster? Ultimately, these will be YOUR chickens.

7. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welsummers were originally bred from RIR and cochins, barnvelders, partridge leghorns,and wyandottes in the early 1900s and added to the British standard in 1930. I imagine they would work ok with a cross, that's what your plan was right? I have them but picked them more to have something different and for their dark brown spotted eggs. I was going to go with Marans, but I heard Welsummers lay more frequently.

1 person likes this.
  8. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    It is certainly genetic. Highly heritable. It is not learned behavior.

9. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    That is right. Now we have thugs breeding the dogs that have no business breeding themselves. They have ruined the breed.

10. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Look at thick shanks, and well spaced legs as a good foundation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by