BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Do you not have permanent housing? All of our birds are housed in large mobile pens, but some are dedicated pullet and cockerel grow out pens. So there may not be birds in those coops all the time, but they are always there for when it comes time to separate the sexes.

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    LOL. I never said that I thought you were upset with me. Where was that at?

The burden of proof, as I stated, is to prove that stress causes blood spots. Not the other way around. It doesn't work that way. Anyone can make any wild claim that is hypothetical and say prove me wrong.

Speculation is not evidence. It is assuming that it could be a cause. I provided evidence and a demonstration on how blood spots are made. Please show me how stress causes this to happen. I did my part, and produced evidence. I would like to see the evidence that you are referring to. I could be convinced otherwise, and I like to learn. You have known me long enough to know that I need more than because someone says so. I am a doubting Thomas. Now, if evidence is provided, I would have appreciated learning something new.

The good thing about having been shown to be wrong, is that I would not have to continue being wrong.

I enjoy debating, but not chickens. They are not that complicated. LOL. Not to mention that this is not a good format for it. I have some friends that I debate a couple subjects with online. They are not arguments, and it is among friends. Every now and then, I have to concede a point, and I learn something. I always benefit from that exchange. I do not gain from what I already have. It is what I do not have that I need and want. That is why we do it. We are all pushed and challenged.

Now the good thing about this discussion between you and I is that anyone that bothers to watch the video will see how blood spots are made. If you can provide your evidence, then they will have learned even more. I would have myself.

3. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Just candle them. Your eggs are not too dark. You have to roll the eggs not to confuse them with specks on the shell. Use a good miniature flashlight with the LED bulbs. They are surprisingly bright for such a small size. You can illuminate the entire interior. I like these better than those made for the purpose.

It is not as easy as it would be with white eggs. It just takes a little time. Going through 50 eggs is not fun, but it would be worth it in a couple years. Do not set any eggs with them.

If the egg contents freeze, this can cause interior quality problems. I do not have to worry about that down here. Thankfully. Eggs left out too long in 100 degree heat can though. They age fast in high heat.

ETA: If you can trap nest practically, it has a host of advantages.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    3 people like this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
  6. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    You told me to relax - indicating you felt that I was upset for some reason. I'm not upset, I just don't agree with your statement.

As I said, I know where blood spots come from. I don't dispute the obvious source of blood spots. But there is more going on in my mind and I have a feeling I know where the disconnect is between us and I think we're looking at two different things. But I can't give you the years of education I have that helped me form my opinion on this issue in a few forum postings. And it is not important to me whether or not you agree with me. So let's just leave it as we don't agree and that's ok.

7. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Well, lets move on now to breeding for production--- eggs and or meat. I just purchased some very nice bielefelder stock and will be crossing these with my blue orpingtons next spring. I really think this is an excellent mix for progeny and meat. Add the fact that they are both good egg layers and grow reasonably fast to table weight. Bielefelders are sexable at birth and I hope I can transfer this trait. I am breeding belgium malines this spring and hope to acquire some izegemse. This is another future cross if all goes well. :p

8. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    All I need is evidence to change my mind.

9. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Why do you think that the two breeds will be an excellent cross?

What kind of improvement do you expect or hope for?

How long do they take to reach table weights? What are these weights? Where are each now?

What to you is a good layer? How many do they lay per year?

How much do the adult birds eat per day? How much does it cost per pound to get them where you like them? How many pounds of feed does it cost to get them to POL? When is point of lay?

Why do you think you will be able to "transfer" the ability to sex the chicks from the Bielefelders? How do plan to you accomplish this?

I like to hear how people are going about their business, and what their goals are. I like to hear numbers. Not an elementary 4 eggs per week etc. I cannot get any information like that. I like to hear that I saw such and such weights at this point, in this season, with this feed etc. I like to read about people actually breeding and what they are trying to do. What their challenges and problems are. What progress has been made?

You are right. It would be nice to get to this.

10. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I will answer you in the morning, right now I am going to bed. Sleep well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by