BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

This is the stuff I have on it.

Let me know if the word doc is too hard to open. I will make it a pdf if so.

2 people like this.
  2. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thanks ronnet1. I've researched a little on linebreeding.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm doing something similar, using Bob Blosl's line breeding method of 3 pens, with each hen I start with getting her own pen, then all her female progeny will be using that pen for breeding as well. I'll be using the father on the daughters and sons on the mothers and aunts for as long as I can without degrading the lines.

I'll be staying small as well, not hatching out more than approx. 40 chicks per year if I'm blessed and I'll be culling hard so as to stay small and efficient in my housing, feeding and time spent.

4. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks a bunch! I think I can make clan breeding work for me. [​IMG]

5. Shellz

Sounds great!

6. Shellz

Ah, yes EEs! I have 3 olive eggers that I had hoped would've pulled up the slack in winter. Every single hen went on strike in December. :rolleyes: For sure the EEs will be easy to source. Thanks! :thumbsup

7. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Well ya see Beer Can, I have had Jersey Giants and they just take too long to grow! The rooster got enormous but the hens did not.

8. millbrookfarm

millbrookfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I use this one from user @raizin you can find it on his user profile link https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/8997/raizin

I think if you know some basics about excel you can tailor it to what you need.

1 person likes this.
  9. millbrookfarm

Nov 16, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure it exists either. I have you into the Malines. I find a breed that is what I am looking for in terms of production, but then have to look at the same color with every chicken. Ugh. I'm not knocking it. It's just not for me.

10. millbrookfarm

Nov 16, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Yeah I have looked at bielefelders and malines. Bielefelders really got me thinking. I just want vary colors in each hatch. I know it's vain, but I like variety in my flock.

I didn't expect the hens to weigh as much as what I said. I thought if the rooster weighs about that much I could get a decent weight for a 12-16wk cockerel and would wait a little bit more for the hens.

I am leaning toward choosing two or three breeds and crossing them to see what happens.

I have not owned any Easter Eggers but do you think it would take as much effort simply start with some Easter Eggers and then breed toward production traits (mainly meat), since most Easter Eggers vary in color widely and, from what I have read, tend to lay eggs very well versus a cross breeding program of the three breeds you just stated? Thoughts? (from anybody for that matter)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by