BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Quote: Ohh I get that fine. I also know that growth stops after a point. I never said it was a straight line did I? I have seen using MY lines that selecting growth rates later ON in the growth is *Better* for my breeding programs and what I am breeding for. I have been breeding chicks for more than 3/4 of my life.

But what ever....

So what happens to protect him from the sun & winter? Or even from the outside world from getting scratches or pecked? Poor guy looks cold lol
He'll have the coolness of the flagstone in our den in summer and an unlimited supply of natural gas to keep his slick little body warm. He might even be allowed into the hot-tub...before any big meal. It's my job to clean the tub....Jason quit because I refused to shave my arm-pits and...

Well...I clean the thing. For those of you who do not have hot tubs...a really good rough shower has always been good enough to do away with any 'shedding' I might suffer before getting into the tub...and Rudy has no feathers.
lau.gif

So what happens to protect him from the sun & winter? Or even from the outside world from getting scratches or pecked? Poor guy looks cold lol
The fibro gene (dark skin ) should offer some protection from the sun. I have plenty of shade, my chickens do not spent much time in direct sun anyway.

I figure w/ repeated exposure his skin should toughen up like a "farmer's tan and tougher skin". A pig has almost no hair and seems to manage. (I know apples and oranges)

He may need to spend more time inside the coop in the winter. I figure he will need a sleeping box for chilly nights and winter. I am thinking about ways to make a little covering for him for winter. There are bed covers that have a terry cloth side and a plasticized side (impervious to water but still allow air through) I will likely get one to use the fabric to make a "jacket" w/ the terry clothe skin side and the water proof side to the outside.

Well...I clean the thing. For those of you who do not have hot tubs...a really good rough shower has always been good enough to do away with any 'shedding' I might suffer before getting into the tub...and Rudy has no feathers.
lau.gif
Do not forget to get him a swim ring
big_smile.png

Quote: Does it occur often in NN? I remember a picture awhile ago of a *naked* chicken but I believe that was from molting. I can not wait to see his * coat* You always come up with such cool ideas :)

The fibro gene (dark skin ) should offer some protection from the sun. I have plenty of shade, my chickens do not spent much time in direct sun anyway.

I figure w/ repeated exposure his skin should toughen up like a "farmer's tan and tougher skin". A pig has almost no hair and seems to manage. (I know apples and oranges)

He may need to spend more time inside the coop in the winter. I figure he will need a sleeping box for chilly nights and winter. I am thinking about ways to make a little covering for him for winter. There are bed covers that have a terry cloth side and a plasticized side (impervious to water but still allow air through) I will likely get one to use the fabric to make a "jacket" w/ the terry clothe skin side and the water proof side to the outside.
Don't try to keep my Rudy!!!

A pig has 4 inches of fat to keep him warm!

Rudy will freeze to death in OKLA. Just look at your own pics!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

I like to tease Kassaundra about Rudy. I know I would have to yank her arms off and bring them with me to get him!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Ohh I get that fine. I also know that growth stops after a point. I never said it was a straight line did I? I have seen using MY lines that selecting growth rates later ON in the growth is *Better* for my breeding programs and what I am breeding for. I have been breeding chicks for more than 3/4 of my life.

But what ever....
No, not "but what ever". That was kinda disingenuous, callducks. How would you like it if someone offhandedly dismissed you that way?
I really appreciate everything George has shared on this list and have learned a lot from it. I sure hope he comes back to share more.
I can tell folk all about breeding dogs, but not poultry. I need this instruction to learn. Please, let's not put roadblocks in the middle of the road
because that's where Bob Blosi said we should be. Go slow, down the middle of the road and KISS.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
The what ever was more like a "I am done here" - forums or the users have been frustrating me for a multitude of reasons. I am especially fed up with communication

Do not forget to get him a swim ring
big_smile.png

Does it occur often in NN? I remember a picture awhile ago of a *naked* chicken but I believe that was from molting. I can not wait to see his * coat* You always come up with such cool ideas :)
It has nothing to do w/ his parents being NN. NN cannot produce a naked chick w/o the sc gene. This gene was first discovered in New Hampshire birds not NN. I just happen to have NN that also carry this gene.

Ohh I get that fine. I also know that growth stops after a point. I never said it was a straight line did I? I have seen using MY lines that selecting growth rates later ON in the growth is *Better* for my breeding programs and what I am breeding for. I have been breeding chicks for more than 3/4 of my life.

But what ever....
So would that mean that you started about 5?

I think that you wanted to dispute the point made without trying to understand the point. You still are. You are on another subject all together, and still do not even realize it.

Back
Top Bottom