BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    NO NO NO... We wouldn't do anything crazy like that with the diet. Never even heard of such nonsense. If we get ducklings, I'll tell folks about it...good or bad.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    haha no i ment the tendon cutting not the angel wing...i would like to think most people would not see angel wing as a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Do you ship rain? I would definitely order some if I could! The fire danger here literally went from "Low Level 1" to "Moderate Level 1" in 24 hours. It's supposed to get in the hundreds later this week (unusual for this time of the year in this part of the country) and we expect the fire danger will jump another rating.

4. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    If I could I WOULD!!we are still under flood warnings here

5. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I'm just concentrating on Heavy breeds that dislike flying.

1 person likes this.
  6. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    You could have 2/3rds of our rain and we would still have plenty! We were lucky to get a couple of clear sunny days with good wind or we could never have gotten our first hay in.

7. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I will look into this a little more. I know more about wild geese (which is little) than I do keeping them. It has always been one of those things out there as an option that I never picked up. I have always had interest, but not enough I guess. I do not commit easily.

I had a 6' x 6' lean to type shelter on skids in mind.

One of my hang ups is that I would want more than a breeding pair. I would rather have one flock than two or three.

8. MidwestChickens

MidwestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Illinois
    Hey guys I got a question. City ordinance changed and I have to get rid of my chickens. It sucks but it is what it is. The only way I would be able to keep any is if I kept one or two Inside as house chickens. Would you guys recommend this And if so what would i need to know?

9. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Well send some south. You would not have to send it far. We have one of those Bermuda Highs sitting off the coast steering most of the moisture north. We have been at or over 100 for a couple weeks with no rain. I live in the Sandhills, so you can imagine what it is getting like.

1 person likes this.
  10. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    The area close to where we have plans for ducks would be perfect for them. The pasture is in such rough shape (large rocks, deep holes etc) that it is never cut for hay and it's aprox. 30 acres. We just don't need the area (for hay) so we have never improved it. The grass is over 2.5 feet tall there and Jason Brush hogged it earlier in the spring. Ducks would never run out of free food...lolol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by