BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    haha alright good to know, thank you

i have nothing against either if that is what a person does, it is no worse then docking tails or cropping ears or even neutering...it just isnt for me with my ducks/chickens. Pinion would be a good option if you wanted to get into production muscovy for meat.

2. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    This was my view on the drive home from picking up the ducks our 6-year-old bought with her birthday money. They're all female Anconas and are settling in nicely with the geese. The only "issue" we've had is the gander chases them out of the kiddie pool whenever the goose wants to go for a swim. This is easily solved with a second kiddie pool. Surely the gander can't defend 2 pools at once?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. bramblefir

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I understand they like fruit, so it would need to be when the fruit isn't on the bushes or at least isn't ripe. They use geese to weed organic strawberry fields, but only do so before the berries have set and after they've been harvested. They're also widely used in orchards to graze and clean up dropped fruit.

That said, we've run the goslings in the garden and they ate the grass and weeds between the raised beds. We do have blueberries and raspberries in the garden and they never went over to them.

4. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I have never actually performed this procedure but I did watch my dad do it. My son Jason (if we ever do get ducklings) will be doing the actual task. He has excellent vision as well as hand/eye coordination. He's the best caponizer of us all and he has a plan that he's been talking about that I'll not go into here but if it works on one duckling, it should work on all. I suspect it's been done before, by other 'thinking' folks.

5. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    My remarks on pinioning did not have you in mind when I mentioned them to someone else. I apologize if you felt as if it was a critique on your view.

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I would not graze them there when the fruit was on the bushes. I have a lot of them. I water them from overhead, and the grass between the beds is in good shape late in the summer when we are typically dry. It would be nice to allow them access to these areas late in the summer and early into the fall. I have wondered how successful I could be rotating them according to the seasons.

How do you shelter yours?

7. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    no i didnt at all just making sure no one thinks i am trying to "condemn" them for doing it or anything.

I have heard of folks using something like wirecutters and just cutting the tendon on the top of the wing at the last joint, leaves the full wing there but they can not perform the flying motion. Might be something like what your son has in mind. i did hear of one guy locally who got in trouble for purposefully feeding his muscovy to high a protein to make them get angel wing....as a "natural" pinion. His entire flock over 3-4 generations had angel wing, yes it does take care of the dirty work for you so to speak but i dont think it is a better option.

8. bramblefir

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    From what I understand a mature pair needs at least a 4'x6' pen at night that is secure against predators. We have a relatively big barn with two 12'x12' matted horse stalls on the north side. Since we don't have horses at the moment the geese go into one of the stalls at night. I keep it bedded deeply in straw and just pick out the manure daily and move the water to different spot in the stall every other day. Interestingly, they like to bed down around wherever the waterer is. So the manure is always concentrated around the water source. Simply moving their water moves where the majority of the manure lands.

We are going to move ours into a different pasture tomorrow morning. The grass in their current pasture is getting a little short and we won't have much rain again until the fall. The downside to a Mediterranean climate is not having any rain when it's most needed.

9. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    You can have some of our rain...we have had so much we were only able to plant 6 flats of veggies and now we have the other 8 flats that have been sitting over 2 weeks waiting to go in the ground, their starting to yellow [​IMG]

10. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    The ducklings are CUTE!!When i get the rest of my property fenced,namely the stock pond,ducks are on my to do list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by