BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Check this site out. This page gives a good general over view. http://www.poultryhub.org/species/commercial-poultry/duck/ SE Asia is where the majority of producers and developers are. I do not know about the rest of the world. I would guess the interest is mixed to low. It is hard to even find it here.

I do not think that is even especially helpful to compare the two given the flesh is so different from each other. It is really like comparing two different products.

I still think that the Muscovey is better suited for a homestead where their ability (and desire) to fly was not a concern. Not unless clipping the wings was a practical option. That has not been made clear.

As always...thank you.

There is a word I've been reticent to use but I guess it won't hurt to throw it out here....Pinioning...If I ever do get ducklings, that will be what prevents any long flights.

EDIT: I now see it's already out there...
wink.png

Last edited:
A necessary evil.
Not always, my muscovy live in pens, my friend as i said leaves his in the open....really just depends on your space and your goals. i've never pinioned anything and i never would but thats my own personal choice, i would also never dub or debeak again thats a personal thing. I had one guy try to tell me i HAD to pinion....i was pretty much like no dude i dont, i can manage my ducks how i like. i was told the same thing for geese, which is odd because i thought most couldnt fly??

Explain pinioning please. Cutting off the tip?
pretty much...you know that piece of the wing that doesnt usually come on "wings" like the kind we deep fry and eat....they cut that part off as day old normally but i have heard of people doing it as old as 1 week, i would think younger would be better but i have no experience in that department.

Not always, my muscovy live in pens, my friend as i said leaves his in the open....really just depends on your space and your goals. i've never pinioned anything and i never would but thats my own personal choice, i would also never dub or debeak again thats a personal thing. I had one guy try to tell me i HAD to pinion....i was pretty much like no dude i dont, i can manage my ducks how i like. i was told the same thing for geese, which is odd because i thought most couldnt fly??
No, most can't fly. It's really the smaller breeds of geese like the Canadian that can fly. The rest need a long downhill sprint with a tail wind to achieve anything resembling flight and even then it's more like a fat chicken trying to get airborne.

As always...thank you.

There is a word I've been reticent to use but I guess it won't hurt to throw it out here....Pinioning...If I ever do get ducklings, that will be what prevents any long flights.

EDIT: I now see it's already out there...
wink.png

Pinioning would probably be a better option, and I have no objections to the idea. I would see it as dubbing is. A reasonable management option when done correctly.

ETA: It would be more "humane" (I hate that word.) than keeping them in close confinement.

Last edited:
No, most can't fly. It's really the smaller breeds of geese like the Canadian that can fly. The rest need a long downhill sprint with a tail wind to achieve anything resembling flight and even then it's more like a fat chicken trying to get airborne.

Here is a silly question.

How do you think geese would do among my blueberry bushes, if they were allowed to graze that area temporarily?

haha alright good to know, thank you

Pinioning would probably be a better option, and I have no objections to the idea. I would see it as dubbing is. A reasonable management option when done correctly.
i have nothing against either if that is what a person does, it is no worse then docking tails or cropping ears or even neutering...it just isnt for me with my ducks/chickens. Pinion would be a good option if you wanted to get into production muscovy for meat.

Back
Top Bottom