BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Let me think on this for a bit and I'll get back to you...

2. MidwestChickens

MidwestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Illinois
    Okay thanks

3. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    Sadly no i dont think i could afford the shipping. We have not even thought of cutting hay yet...to wet.

Can't you keep them under some type of grandfathered in, since you had them before to ordinance, thats how it works up here. Definately need chicken diapers, but alot of people keep house chickens and ducks and geese etc....i guess they do pretty well depending on the poultry. My friend here has a pet turkey, he loves to be petted and will attempt to make you pet his head/neck and walk around showing off his feathers.

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I would not, for a few reasons. I could see a couple bantams in a garage or something, but . . . I am sorry. You asked. I wish this had not come up for you.

5. MidwestChickens

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I will check on the whole being grandfathered in thing thnx!

What reasons?

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    For one is it is not sanitary. They are not animals that you can train to a location or litter box. They go as they please and where they please. Are you going to put diapers on them?

Then they shed profuse amounts of dander. There are health risks involved with inhaling these proteins day to day, every day. What are you going to do when they molt? All of their feathers. Every single one. LOL.

I could go on and on, but this is something that you will sort out for yourself. Frankly, if I wanted to live with livestock, I would live in a barn. I am convinced that I am not supposed to live with some things.

Then frankly, I would question the thought process that would elevate a chicken to living like a human, and in a human dwelling. Heck I cringe to see the pictures taken of birds inside people's homes.

I am sorry. Cows, sheep, goats, chickens, geese, ducks, etc. No. Not in my house. Never. I would chop their heads off, and eat them first. That is what we do with chickens. We eat them. We do not befriend them, or pet them, or cuddle with them, or give them room and board within our home. It is not going to happen. Not in my house. They are not my buddies or friends.

2 people like this.
  7. MidwestChickens

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I understand

8. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    For a large flock you should be fine with keeping them in a securely fenced area with just a basic shelter for them to get under if the weather turns particularly nasty. You could setup an electric net fence around the lean-to and only electrify it when you put them in for the night. Just turn it off in the morning and open a small "gate" to let them out to graze. Or just use the electric fencing to setup your grazing pens.

We use the electric net fencing to move our goats around the property to clean up all the blackberries. I can tell you right now that it's super effective at keeping dogs out and goats in.

9. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    i let goat kids live in my house when they are born in the winter and i have chicks/ducklings in the house year round because i hatch all year...to each their own. Really depends on your house and your tolerances and time...do you have time to properly clean up after them, feces, feathers, dander etc? Do you have a space you can keep them in to limit the mess?

i know many ranchers/farmers in iowa who will keep goat kids/ lambs/calves in their house when born in hard winter just long enough to get them up and moving and repeat the process as needed. Yes you could eat them but when the calf is worth $200 or more and you have more then one who needs to be warmed up it can add up to $1000s so it really depends on if your willing to take that loss or not. If you have 500 head of cattle probly, if you have 50 head of cattle probly not. That is larger livestock though and this is chickens so its really up to you, as i said to each their own. i know my father would cringe and thinks i am insane for having animals in the house, of course he even thinks dogs belong outside so it definately varies.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Does the city ordinance change restrict the keeping of all poultry or just specifically chickens? Some folks get around the ordinances by keeping quail for eggs and meat. Rabbits are also very useful in these situations if meat is your goal. Although I suppose not since you mention only keeping one or two.

In all honesty, I kept pet birds in the house growing up. Parakeets, cockatiels, and lovebirds. NEVER AGAIN. There is no messier house pet than birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by