1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I think she is referring to soil drainage/aeration .. . the soil is waterlogged. They are in the area that has been flooded. Maybe raised beds, but when is the next time this will happen again?

2. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    My neighbor has raised beds. It's done him no good. We have got so much rain,then blistering heat that its cooked the plants. Even my pepper plants in containers that i sat under trees cooked.

3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    We have not had anything near blistering heat. It got down to 50 F this morning but I'm not complaining. Gonna' have a day of sunshine then right back into thunderstorms.

I'm certain the black plastic is to prevent weeds and help hold moisture in but it seems to have kept the rain from soaking into the ground where it's covered. Our gardens are on a slight incline as nowhere in WV is level so I guess it runs off pretty well and the soil perks really well in the garden areas. Whatever, I consider it a blessing.

4. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Have any of you ground chicken meat for burgers or sausage

5. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    I have ground pheasant meat, but not chicken.

6. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I've never ground chicken only turkey and duck. I have bought ground chicken in the store. Wife made tacos with it, was good.

7. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Yes. Have been quite happy with grinding up my home grown chicken into burger. Very lean, so when cooking it, have to add a bit of fat/oil of some kind to keep it from sticking to the pan, but otherwise it's great.

1 person likes this.
  8. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    This year I planted 4 varieties of pumpkins: 2 types of mini's, sugar pumpkins, and carving pumpkins. The goats and chickens will be fed everything except the sugar pumpkins once we're done being festive with the others. The goats really go nuts for pumpkins.

The sugar pumpkins will be made into pie filling for the freezer and most of the seeds roasted for snacking. We will hold some seeds back from all the pumpkins for next year's garden.

1 person likes this.
  9. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I'll have to ask Ariel what variety these are. She got the seeds from a neighbor and I have seen a few of them when they were smallish. They have very bland coloring and no really defined shape. They sorta' look like large tumors....I suspect they were developed for animal feed because they are not a bit attractive. As far as Halloween goes, they are scary looking enough, without carving.[​IMG]

10. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    My OCD kicks in hard when it comes to seeds. Im like a giant pack rat. Ive got some pepper seeds that are over 12yrs old that are STILL viable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by