BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Those are some very nice looking Ducks Chickens!

Thanks. Those are the March babies. They're afraid of the January babies, for good reason, so they weren't going in come he!! or high water. I had to carry each one. I couldn't decide on getting them swim fins, rubber rafts or just some innertubes. I did have visions of them bobbing around in their round floaties. Actually, it was awful. I dragged hay bales down so they had things to get up on aside from roosts and a large grow out pen. It took 3 days until we had a strip of dry ground in the run. Thankful for the rain, but...

Thanks. Those are the March babies. They're afraid of the January babies, for good reason, so they weren't going in come he!! or high water. I had to carry each one. I couldn't decide on getting them swim fins, rubber rafts or just some innertubes. I did have visions of them bobbing around in their round floaties. Actually, it was awful. I dragged hay bales down so they had things to get up on aside from roosts and a large grow out pen. It took 3 days until we had a strip of dry ground in the run. Thankful for the rain, but...
Are you going to work on drainage? I have to put sand out each winter, well when we get rain that is.

Too much rain here. Not flooding other than the occasional flash flood, but were hilly and up a little higher. Still raining just about everyday for the past month and I cannot get caught up on work. Can't till the garden, and barely walk in it to get the produce. You sink about 6 inches into the mud. Chicks are out in the coop, but they barely come out into the yard because of the rain. Tired of it in all aspects of my life at this point.
tongue.gif

My Bielefelders and NN Turkens just experienced their first monsoon rain. The same birds that run screeching from the garden hose stood out in the rain and got soaked instead of going into their respective coops. I'm just hoping none of the develop any kind of illness now.

Spent 2 years in Alameda California by the San Francisco bay bridge. Navy port on board USS Oriskany. Winters were definitely pea coat weather and wool uniforms. Bell bottom trousers got a little drafty! Discharged early January and returned home to blizzard weather in Michigan. Swapped out pea coat for snowmobile suit and boots! Ha! My chickens have feathered legs!

Well I guess my prediction was right. On the way past the Forest Service station today the fire danger had jumped to "High Level 2". The hot weather is very unusual for this time of the year in this part of the country. It typically doesn't hit the 90's until mid-July or later. It's normally so mild that gardeners have a hard time getting tomatoes to ripen before the fall rains start.

I'll be picking my first tomatoes sometime next week by the looks of the orange fruit hanging off the plants. The corn is, I swear, growing at least 1/2" a day. The spinach I planted in April? It put out one set of true leaves and then bolted. Seriously.

Methinks you'll be building a levee when things dry out.

Also, someone was praying too hard for rain.

Unfortunately, it's not my land, or the coop would have been on higher ground. When I start looking for my own place, I don't want anywhere near the lake. Flooding, bugs, predators. No thanks.

You're right about that praying hard. Then we prayed it would stop.

My Bielefelders and NN Turkens just experienced their first monsoon rain. The same birds that run screeching from the garden hose stood out in the rain and got soaked instead of going into their respective coops. I'm just hoping none of the develop any kind of illness now.

It is a little early for the monsoon season, is it not?

Getting wet periodically does not hurt them. I range my birds, and they will get caught out, or decide to be out in the rain.

As dry as you are there, it was probably be good for them. That every day dry air will dry their feathers out.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's not my land, or the coop would have been on higher ground. When I start looking for my own place, I don't want anywhere near the lake. Flooding, bugs, predators. No thanks.

You're right about that praying hard. Then we prayed it would stop.
I can understand that. We poured over the flood maps for every property we looked at and discarded anything with a house or outbuilding within the 500 year floodplain. And that's how we ended up on a hillside.

Back
Top Bottom