BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

My neighbor has raised beds. It's done him no good. We have got so much rain,then blistering heat that its cooked the plants. Even my pepper plants in containers that i sat under trees cooked.

We have not had anything near blistering heat. It got down to 50 F this morning but I'm not complaining. Gonna' have a day of sunshine then right back into thunderstorms.

I'm certain the black plastic is to prevent weeds and help hold moisture in but it seems to have kept the rain from soaking into the ground where it's covered. Our gardens are on a slight incline as nowhere in WV is level so I guess it runs off pretty well and the soil perks really well in the garden areas. Whatever, I consider it a blessing.

Have any of you ground chicken meat for burgers or sausage

Yes. Have been quite happy with grinding up my home grown chicken into burger. Very lean, so when cooking it, have to add a bit of fat/oil of some kind to keep it from sticking to the pan, but otherwise it's great.

We've had rain almost every day here for what seems like 2 months, with little let-up but our gardens are thriving! I think it might be the way the gals and kids plant them. (I do NOT garden...bad back...comes in handy when I feel lazy). They have Black plastic on the gardens....every part of them, with the plants shooting up through...(not including corn or hay) lololol

I'm very happy with the pumpkins Ariel planted this year. I don't remember the type but they aren't the Halloween type but rather are very large light colored monsters that get over one hundred pounds...I'm told WELL OVER a hundred pounds. They will be used for chicken feed and I guess feed for whatever else will eat it.
This year I planted 4 varieties of pumpkins: 2 types of mini's, sugar pumpkins, and carving pumpkins. The goats and chickens will be fed everything except the sugar pumpkins once we're done being festive with the others. The goats really go nuts for pumpkins.

The sugar pumpkins will be made into pie filling for the freezer and most of the seeds roasted for snacking. We will hold some seeds back from all the pumpkins for next year's garden.

This year I planted 4 varieties of pumpkins: 2 types of mini's, sugar pumpkins, and carving pumpkins. The goats and chickens will be fed everything except the sugar pumpkins once we're done being festive with the others. The goats really go nuts for pumpkins.

The sugar pumpkins will be made into pie filling for the freezer and most of the seeds roasted for snacking. We will hold some seeds back from all the pumpkins for next year's garden.

I'll have to ask Ariel what variety these are. She got the seeds from a neighbor and I have seen a few of them when they were smallish. They have very bland coloring and no really defined shape. They sorta' look like large tumors....I suspect they were developed for animal feed because they are not a bit attractive. As far as Halloween goes, they are scary looking enough, without carving.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom