BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I usually use beef tallow, keep a jar of it on the counter. Use beef tallow to make flour tortillas too. Can't beat homemade food.

The meat balls sound good.

I'll get the recipe and post it.

We use it with all ground meat. Lamb, pheasant, venison, beef, and soon chicken, and maybe Duck (if I can talk the wife into it)

I picked 70 cucmbers from 4 plants on Friday. Canned Pickles all day Saturday and still have some left over.

Today, all cucumber and squash plants are covered in Powdery Mildew.
sad.png

I'm not sure those pumpkins have any real use other than "show" pumpkins. Not that they can't be fed, but they are grown to win contests. I'm being too lazy right now to go look it up to confirm that. I was given some small ones last year for my birds. I was told the seeds are expensive, so I saved some. I sent some to my sister and gave a few to a friend. I still have some that I hope to plant someday. The skin was so tender on those pumpkins, the birds ate everything. They usually don't eat all the skin on the carving pumpkins (at least mine don't). I was given some yellow pumpkins too and the birds liked those a lot. I saved those seeds too.

I promise...something around here will eat 'em. I could pour a little goat milk (or just the whey) over a bucket of 10-penny nails and those pigs would likely get most of them down!!
gig.gif

I use that copper spray on my tomatoes, lost them all to late blight a few yrs ago. Made the mistake of buying a spray bottle of it for $8 at our feed store, doesn't last when you have tons of maters. You can get it at Home Depot in concentrate to make 50 gallons for the same $ and use a pump sprayer.
I'll have to read that link, my cucumbers are just getting their big leaves, over a hundred Chicago pickling one's. I saved them from the slugs and snails with a perimeter of wood ashes, don't want to loose them to disease.

Last edited:
I'm not sure those pumpkins have any real use other than "show" pumpkins. Not that they can't be fed, but they are grown to win contests. I'm being too lazy right now to go look it up to confirm that. I was given some small ones last year for my birds. I was told the seeds are expensive, so I saved some. I sent some to my sister and gave a few to a friend. I still have some that I hope to plant someday. The skin was so tender on those pumpkins, the birds ate everything. They usually don't eat all the skin on the carving pumpkins (at least mine don't). I was given some yellow pumpkins too and the birds liked those a lot. I saved those seeds too.

You could use them, but I would not grow them for the purpose. To get them that large requires a lot of specialized care of the plant and the pumpkin itself. Then you are culling all but one pumpkin, and the plant uses a surplus of space.

I use that copper spray on my tomatoes, lost them all to late blight a few yrs ago. Made the mistake of buying a spray bottle of it for $8 at our feed store, doesn't last when you have tons of maters. You can get it at Home Depot in concentrate to make 50 gallons for the same $ and use a pump sprayer.
I'll have to read that link, my cucumbers are just getting their big leaves, over a hundred Chicago pickling one's. I saved them from the slugs and snails with a perimeter of wood ashes, don't want to loose them to disease.
Make sure the problem is not from squash bugs:

Squash bug
Anasa tristis

Squash bugs on plant causing wilting leaves

Squash bug nymphs

Squash bug eggs on underside of squash leaf

Squash bug damage

Adult squash bug

Symptoms

Speckled leaves which turn yellow and brown; wilting plants; dieback of runners; blemished fruit; fruit death; adult squash bugs are often misidentified as stink bugs; they are grey-black in color with orange and black stripes on the edges of their abdomen; nymphs are greenish gray in color and often covered in white powder; female squash bugs lay conspicuous copper colored eggs on the undersides of the leaves
Cause

Insect
Comments

Squash bugs overwinter in crop debris or under rocks and stones
Management

Destroy all crops residue as soon as possible after harvest or on plant death; apply row covers at planting; apply insecticidal soap or appropriate insecticide

Certainly not a Bug issue, though they are around. Hard to mistake the fluffy white stuff all over the top of the leaves.

All plants sprayed with baking soda and horticulture oil. We'll see how it works.

The only cucumbers I can get to grow here in the desert SW are Armenian cucumbers...but they're HUGE. I grew them the last two years and got cukes that were nearly 2-feet long and 3-4 inches in diameter. That's a lot of pickles!!!

Back
Top Bottom