BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Here are the rest of the chicks that hatched for me two days ago:

Dorking mix over Barred Rock

Probably my Ameraucana-mix over Australorp

This on and the next one are of the same chick - my NN over Bielefelder. I'm pretty sure it's a girl because of the darkly defined chipmunk coloring!

Ameraucana-mix over White Rock

I'm not sure if the father here was my Ameraucana-mix or my biggest Biel, but mom is Australorp. The next photo is a top view of the same chick.

Ameraucana-mix over White Rock

Another Ameraucana over White Rock

And FINALLY......

My second NN over White Rock.
They look great!

Oh my god brings back memories of hog killings down in North Carolina, it was so much work, but man that feeling of kinship with your neighbors, knowing you got meat for the winter, wish I was 40 - 50 years younger I would do it again in a heart beat, guess I will just have to do with my poultry.

Fortunately my son and daughter enjoy scalding and scraping the hogs. I help the best I can and generally get in the way. My son (and spouse) from Ky come at butcher time...not that they like the processing so much but they DO like a large share of the meat.

We like to cure the hams and bacon and I'm just not certain it could be done effectively with a skinned porker.

We are like that now in bow season here, with anyone on hand helping with the skinning, quartering, cleaning and processing of the meat. It didn't used to be that way...my brothers would kill the deer, come and get Mom to gut it for them, then they would strip the hide and leave it, letting she and I do all the rest, without another thought about doing something with their meat....they knew it would all come to them neatly packaged and ready for consumption.

Then I came to live with her permanently and instituted a new rule....you kill it, you clean it~ or have a huge hand in the that process~ all the way to packaging. I don't expect them to can it, but they do need to help in getting it cut down for canning/freezing/jerky. No more making the 81 yr old tiny lady do your dirty work for you.
roll.png
This year, the first day of bow season/buck season, all four hunters got a buck that first day...you never saw so much scrambling to get some deer into a cool place
gig.gif
~it was very warm and the flies were horrible! I really liked all the kinship that was displayed that day, with everyone taking turns, helping one another and trying to facilitate getting the meat into the fridge and freezer as quickly as possible.

Dad showed me once how to process fish, rabbits, squirrel, grouse, turkey, deer etc when I was young 12 or so, it was always 'you kill it you clean it' ever since. I couldn't imagine paying someone to process any animal.
I know a guy at work that skins and quarters deer in the woods backpacks them out, his wife does the rest, says 'I played my part your turn'. Lol!
That would be nice, well my wife did help once, she did OK I guess, as good as most people would, but I'm really particular on how I like them done up, prefer to cut them up myself. :)

Dad showed me once how to process fish, rabbits, squirrel, grouse, turkey, deer etc when I was young 12 or so, it was always 'you kill it you clean it' ever since. I couldn't imagine paying someone to process any animal.
I know a guy at work that skins and quarters deer in the woods backpacks them out, his wife does the rest, says 'I played my part your turn'. Lol!
That would be nice, well my wife did help once, she did OK I guess, as good as most people would, but I'm really particular on how I like them done up, prefer to cut them up myself. :)

When my mom was a kid she said her dad made her eat her pet rabbit and I think he even made her kill it

When my mom was a kid she said her dad made her eat her pet rabbit and I think he even made her kill it

We got our oldest a pet rabbit when she was little, I was against it, not getting any animals your not willing to eat, she said I could eat it, 'after it gets old and dies' Lol. Lived 10 or 11 years, I didn't take her up on the offer Lol. It was a standard Rex, she showed it at our county fair when she was in 4H, good experience for her, and it made plenty of fertilizer for the garden, so I guess it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom