BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Naked necks or completely naked? You are the one with Rudy right? Just wondering how many of the little naked things were running around now

I have 3 nakeds right now. Rudy and Phyllis both died this year
hit.gif
The NN don't need clothes but the nakeds do

@Kassaundra you need to post some of your fashion photos...like you posted in the OKIE thread.
Here is a sample of some of the fashions

This one is my all time favorite, the maternity dress I made for Phyllis when she went broody.

They get so dramatic when I put clothes on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassaundra

Dinosaurs dressed to the nines! Cute!

I have a question for the NN/ genetics people. I know that the F1 cross of a regular chicken to a NN results in a naked neck chick, that does not have those hairs (philoplumes?). Has anyone noticed if this trait carries through to the next generation, if you cross the F1 back to a regular chicken, are there fewer or none of these? I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have a fully feathered chicken that has no philoplumes. The last cockerel we roasted was almost as hairy as a raccoon.  :sick   In the meantime  I think I will start doing what   @lpatelski
does and skin them.    

Someone commented here recently that their F2s fully feathered were hairless also. Some of the Cackle supposedly pure pullets I culled that had big bowties had some hairs, but plucked super easy, and the colored birds had no dark pinfeathers, plucked clean.
I think it helped I soaked the birds first then just a quick dunk/swish in the scalding water. I think plucking them was about as easy as skinning. I did eight of them.
I hear you on those hairs, torch helps. I dry plucked five old silkie hens awhile back, ridiculous amount of feathers, and hairy! The fibro giant/silkie crosses I did decided to just skin them ;-)
I don't bother plucking the older birds if I know they are going to be just soup/stew, but prefer the skin on all others.
I think if I had just even a drill style plucker these nn would pluck clean in seconds. Nice bright yellow skin too.

With their abnormally quick growth was wondering. Figured they would lay at a normal time frame, just wasn't sure.
Another couple questions, do you keep the CX with the rooster, or just keep them together just long enough to assure fertile eggs?
Are your pure CX active/robust enough to keep in a all-flock setting, or do you keep them segregated?
Just wondering cause I plan on adding CX to my NN.
I only have one CX hen - "Betty", I culled the second "Wilma" due to her double yolk laying habit. I keep Betty with BamBam my DC Rooster. She is just out of molt so she should start laying again soon. BamBam is having a little more difficulty covering her now due to her long back and his shorter DC back; Bob can cover her no problem. Betty is getting up there in age for a CX hen. She was born 2/6/15 which makes her 1 year, 8 months of age on a chicken made to last to 12 weeks of age. I know she is on borrowed time. She has done her job, I have a freezer full of fantastic meat and I have my foundation F1 stock by her - Pebbles, Tootsie, Redmen(culled). Bob and Lavenia are by Wilma and BamBam.

My F2 Stock are: Bob(50/50) bred to Marion or Guinevere my Pure DC hens.

BamBam(100%DC) bred to Lavenia, Tootsie

Redmen(50/50) bred to Lavenia(50/50)

Bob(50/50) bred to Pebbles(50/50)

Here is a sample of some of the fashions

This one is my all time favorite, the maternity dress I made for Phyllis when she went broody.

Ah haaa haaa haaa!
lol.png
Love those clothes, this one's my favourite!!! It must have been great fun designing those.
A quick question- do the naked naked chickens try to take dust baths???

I only have one CX hen - "Betty", I culled the second "Wilma" due to her double yolk laying habit. I keep Betty with BamBam my DC Rooster. She is just out of molt so she should start laying again soon. BamBam is having a little more difficulty covering her now due to her long back and his shorter DC back; Bob can cover her no problem. Betty is getting up there in age for a CX hen. She was born 2/6/15 which makes her 1 year, 8 months of age on a chicken made to last to 12 weeks of age. I know she is on borrowed time. She has done her job, I have a freezer full of fantastic meat and I have my foundation F1 stock by her - Pebbles, Tootsie, Redmen(culled). Bob and Lavenia are by Wilma and BamBam.

My F2 Stock are: Bob(50/50) bred to Marion or Guinevere my Pure DC hens.

BamBam(100%DC) bred to Lavenia, Tootsie

Redmen(50/50) bred to Lavenia(50/50)

Bob(50/50) bred to Pebbles(50/50)
Wow! Lovely. On another forum we were discussing how it could be possible to breed a standard bird the colour of the red shouldered Yokohama- I think you've got it!!!!! Can I see more photos of this one?

Ah haaa haaa haaa!
lol.png
Love those clothes, this one's my favourite!!! It must have been great fun designing those.
A quick question- do the naked naked chickens try to take dust baths???

Naked necks do dust bathe, but if you are asking about the nakeds, the answer is still yes, they dust bathe and preen imaginary feathers

Wow! Lovely. On another forum we were discussing how it could be possible to breed a standard bird the colour of the red shouldered Yokohama- I think you've got it!!!!! Can I see more photos of this one?
This bird's color pattern is a sort of White Laced Red. Like the Cornish White Lace Red patterning.

Dark Chocolate Red

Cocoa colored
I also have one that looks a little like a pearl or jubilee? Help me out @Kev

Back
Top Bottom