BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Omy gosh, I need to snap some photos of the little babies, so ya'll can see what I am working with.....

Heres this weeks update, Orange has gone well over 1lb in weight already....

Hatch Wt - Oz 11/23 (@2 days) Wk 1 11/28 Wk 2 12/7 Wk 3 12/13 W4 12/20 W5 12/27
Blue Band 1.58 2.58 4.85 7.2 10.07 14.27
Green Band 1.35 2.15 4 6.37 9.14 11.46
Purple Band 1.44 2.13 2.52 4 5.34 6.91
Orange Band 1.27 2.62 5.4 8.64 13.23 18.17
Pink Band 1.49 2.59 4.59 6.74 9.21 11.76
Yellow band 1.17 1.7 2.63 4 5.43 6.19

Interesting! Orange is far ahead of the pack....... but I wonder if Blue will catch up in a few weeks. I'm guessing from the numbers you have four cockerels and two pullets? These are the Sulmtalers, right?

Quote from @DesertChic
.I thought it would turn out to be all black just like its down, but the feathers are growing out with a very interesting Sepia-toned pattern on them. And....the chick has cheeks! I guess that Ameraucana blood from Monty came through.

Yep it sure shows thru. I've breed some that the mother/sure wouldn't have them and then breed out another generation and bam they show back up. Good thing I like bearded ladies.

Quote from @DesertChic
.I thought it would turn out to be all black just like its down, but the feathers are growing out with a very interesting Sepia-toned pattern on them. And....the chick has cheeks! I guess that Ameraucana blood from Monty came through.

Yep it sure shows thru. I've breed some that the mother/sure wouldn't have them and then breed out another generation and bam they show back up. Good thing I like bearded ladies.

Me too. I think those puffy cheeks are adorable. The funny thing is, the Ameraucana rooster (aka Grandpa Copper) never had puffy cheeks, and none of Copper's offspring had puffy cheeks, but this chick has them. Ugh! Genetics! LOL!

Interesting! Orange is far ahead of the pack....... but I wonder if Blue will catch up in a few weeks. I'm guessing from the numbers you have four cockerels and two pullets? These are the Sulmtalers, right?
Yes I am thinking the same, perhaps 2 are hens as they are super small, at least compared to the other 4! I need to get some pics up of them though because I am thinking that green is a female too! Her comb is small, pale (ie not red like the obvious males) and legs aren't thick like Blue and Orange.

No I wish I had Sulmtalers, they are all mixed, 4 of them are sired from this guy, Frankie, a pardoned slow growing broiler we got in march with some other breeds. He was covering a Partridge Rock, 2 Cuckoo Marans, Jersey Giant, Black Australorp, Buff Naked Neck (none of the NN eggs made it to hatch, developed but none came out, poor incubating practice im thinking, was done at friends house)

The other 2 chicks were just from random eggs I threw in the bator with the ones from this project. I do have a goal in mind though, producing nice foraging meatie that grows slower than the typical 8 to 12 wks but still nicely cut and tasty!

Been doing a lot of supervised free-ranging now that we've got our bearings, and while we can't say it's pushed anyone to start laying yet... (I'm looking at you, Bonnie!!) I can say it's added some character. I believe the SOP in Silver Wheaten calls for no black/red leakage in the crest or face, so the boys with those patches are more than likely headed to freezer camp, unless someone buys them down the road (I'm a sucker for finding a reason to *not* process, but it hasn't stopped me before. :p)

^The Silver Wheaten boys, with our wheaten Pullet.

^Silver wheaten pullet with one of our eventual freezer boys

They've handled our "cold" nights like champs, and they have a very "fluffy" feeling to their feathering. I can't say how they'll dress out just yet, these Silver Wheatens were won on RBA from GFF the first week of october, we received them on the second week and we're very pleased with their vigor and size.

Also excited to try the taste prepared in a traditional way! (We found an Austrian site with some recipes of the Sulms dating back to royalty!)

I hope they're good layers too...
fl.gif

Greetings to all! I see this thread hasn't exactly been on fire since I last posted.

For those in the know, I'm still the proud owner of property in S.A. and after having time to visit, I'm not a bit sorry. Sis missed a grand opportunity.

I spent three weeks in the Hellenic Republic and have some delicious memories, especially of Crete.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays at least half as much as I did.

TURK

Been doing a lot of supervised free-ranging now that we've got our bearings, and while we can't say it's pushed anyone to start laying yet... (I'm looking at you, Bonnie!!) I can say it's added some character. I believe the SOP in Silver Wheaten calls for no black/red leakage in the crest or face, so the boys with those patches are more than likely headed to freezer camp, unless someone buys them down the road (I'm a sucker for finding a reason to *not* process, but it hasn't stopped me before. :p)

^The Silver Wheaten boys, with our wheaten Pullet.

^Silver wheaten pullet with one of our eventual freezer boys

They've handled our "cold" nights like champs, and they have a very "fluffy" feeling to their feathering. I can't say how they'll dress out just yet, these Silver Wheatens were won on RBA from GFF the first week of october, we received them on the second week and we're very pleased with their vigor and size.

Also excited to try the taste prepared in a traditional way! (We found an Austrian site with some recipes of the Sulms dating back to royalty!)

I hope they're good layers too...
fl.gif
So glad your birds are doing well. To be absolutely frank and having spent cold weather months in several parts of Florida, a few days at a time, I can't imagine any part of that state where MOST chicken breeds couldn't dance through the winter in totally open housing....at least compared to what my birds have faced over the years.

I arrived home to Kentucky in what seemed to be a heat wave but have been told of some cold days and even the pure Cornish birds came out in spitting snow and heavy winds to get some snacks thrown upon the grass. I was further told that they go out and meddle with the intent of 'free-ranging' but they keep a close eye upon their house and they do spend a lot more time holed up than my Chanteclers and even the hatchery Cornish hens. I could expect no more.

Looking forward to hearing about your flock and other stock as you and your partner expand.

TURK

So glad your birds are doing well. To be absolutely frank and having spent cold weather months in several parts of Florida, a few days at a time, I can't imagine any part of that state where MOST chicken breeds couldn't dance through the winter in totally open housing....at least compared to what my birds have faced over the years.

I arrived home to Kentucky in what seemed to be a heat wave but have been told of some cold days and even the pure Cornish birds came out in spitting snow and heavy winds to get some snacks thrown upon the grass. I was further told that they go out and meddle with the intent of 'free-ranging' but they keep a close eye upon their house and they do spend a lot more time holed up than my Chanteclers and even the hatchery Cornish hens. I could expect no more.

Looking forward to hearing about your flock and other stock as you and your partner expand.

TURK
I'm glad to hear your travels went well!

Even for us this year, Winter has been brutally warm, it's been an average of 78-80 on most days, with some lower dips into the 20s/30s, but nothing at all that'd compare to a winter up there. I know the Sulms, Naked Necks and Cream Legbars don't mind it. Sometimes the Turkeys look bothered more by the heat than the cold.

We may be getting some cornish X from a gentlemen in GA. there's a couple who wants us to raise pastured poultry for their wedding and they want to go as low-end in terms of cost as they can. I hope they deal with the heat okay.

We look forward to updating you! We're actually in the middle of putting up our two 20x20 stalled coops, after we're done setting up, we'll have 16 breeding stalls to work with for the spring, and a toooooooooooooon of chickens to order.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom