Breeding for specific colored EE's.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Berry Creek, Ca
Starting out this is my boy Alfredo. He is an olive egger. Half BCM/half EE. I LOVE his coloring. I crossed him over my f1 olive eggers and my olive egger/cochin X's. I know to get olive eggers this color would take a bit more time, so I'm thinking of an EE line? I know they will all be mutts but I'm thinking of some awesome colored mutts that lay colored eggs. I have minimal genetics knowledge. From my first test hatch I think he may be carrying a dominant white gene. I got many white birds that are bleeding different colors(white with blue, white with black, and white with patterned brown feathers.)

Is this feasible or even possible..?

I'm doing this for me and not to start a new craze to sell..!!

Anyone know what color he is? Is this an orange??

I want to go more in the buff/gold/orange color with white.. steer away from the reds.

Most of the little ones that look like him have pea combs.

I'm wondering what I should get and try to breed in. Like buff ameraucana's?

I'm still in the brainstorming stage and wanted some opinions before I get really deep into it!

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

LOVE this one.

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

(shows the whole test hatch!)
IMG_2085.jpg

Last edited:
He could be carrying dominant white. ????? Kind of looks like a sex link chicken. (Not saying he's a sexlink, just looks like one).
Then too alot depends on the mothers of the baby chicks, with ee's you tend to get many different colors, but it seems like they run in bunches of the same coloring to me. Just thinking, about the coloring of my babies that I hatched out.

Last edited:
What you are wanting to do would be most difficult if not impossible. If you are wanting to stabalize a particular color pattern then it helps to know what color patterns you are working with to start. With hatchery stock EEs that is not going to really be possible. Sometimes color patterns will mix to 'make' a new pattern but when bred that pattern separates.

To stabalize a color pattern it would also help if you knew which female color pattern was the counterpart to the male: which you don't.

From looking at him I'd call him a badly colored Red Pyle: most likely from a wheaten base.

Most definitely not impossible. All you need is to find someone (or yourself) to find out what's behind the EE's you have. It isn't super hard, although many think EE's are a "box of chocolates" - Most are pretty identifiable.

If you want to get rid of the red there, I'd say stick with different birds or get another bird (not an EE) in there with a diluting color like Lavender or something. Although splash and blue may help too, which are indeed found in some EE's.

What you have there is a Duckwing / BBR Easter Egger cockerel with dominant white and Columbian restrictor. You can't breed it into any Ameraucana to continue on with a recognized color, sorry. As for your hens, I'd need to see better pics. Looks like each girl is different, which is why your chicks are varying. But the definite thing though is that everyone is duckwing based.

If you want a more solid color, how to get it depends on what you want and what hens you have.

Breeding out the dominant white with a solid duckwing Easter Egger (like your brown and black offspring) will allow them to be more of a solid reddish brown, replacing the white with black, as seen with some of your offspring. It will turn to a more normal EE color, which does breed true if both parents are homozygous.

Breeding out the Columbian will pull in more white, but the red will stay.

Breeding out the Duckwing may help get rid of the red (try adding Wheaten with true Ameraucanas)

Breeding in blue will help dilute the red.

'Most definitely not impossible.'

I was speaking from the experience of working with my Hyderabad Asil. I've never known anyone that was able to stablize the color patterns. I've tried for a few years; better breeders than myself have tried for up to 12 years and not done it.

Things aren't always as easy as they seem.

Last edited:
These aren't hatchery birds.

I marked all of the babies at hatch to who their mama is. Unfortunately I removed the bands from the 7 single combed birds, but gave away 2 so all but 5 should be marked.

3 of my hens I hatched from my own eggs and had both parents. The 1/2 cochin girls.

Mom was a bantam cochin(from the feed store. We got her as an adult.) and dad was a BCM/ameraucana maybe blue wheaten (according to the lady.)

Goldilocks: She produced a few of those light chicks.
IMG_1305.jpg

Lady:
IMG_1113.jpg

Chicken Patty:
IMG_1312.jpg

This is their mom:
IMG_1278.jpg

and dad:
47583_img00637-20101022-1139.jpg

Alfredo, Parmesan, Cajun, and Picatta were from the same batch of eggs. I can try and find out more about them. But we'll see! I know they all have the same dad (a BCM).

Goldilocks and Piccata:
IMG_1017.jpg

Patty in front and Parmesan behind her then Piccata and Cajun. (Cajun is really hard to take a pic of!!)
IMG_2082.jpg

I really like the white. The more white the better!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom