Breeding for Temperament in Geese

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
I know that you can breed for temperament with dogs, or rather i've heard of that. But i've been pondering if that is something you can do with geese.

We have Sebastopols, 3 adults i purchased as goslings. The two white females are fairly friendly, the lavender male is very wary. Then we hatched out five goslings from eggs purchased on ebay - super friendly guys! Then i have two sets of lavender kids, hatched from eggs purchased from the woman i got my original three from, so they are brothers and sisters to my adult lavender. Even though they were friendly as kids, they are just crazy skitzy now. They act like i'm going to kill them when i just go in to fill feeders and water pans. They don't come up and talk like they used to when they were younger. i'm a little befuddled.

The woman who had the pair that produced the lavenders got them from Holderreads. She said they were not friendly at all, and the male would get super mean during breeding season, so she sold them. So, i don't know, i was just wondering if any geese breeders on here have any input.

Geese raised from you hatching them will always be more friendly then juveniles or adults bought by you. A gander being protective during breeding season is not unheard of. She bought breeding stock from a breeder and was expecting lap friendly birds it sounds like.

You may also find that the other goslings you hatched going through a don't touch me stage.

I do believe genetics has to do with personalities to a point. You also have to understand that in order to get a colored Sebastopol a white was crossed with another breed of goose. This can nort only gain you pretty colors but new temperaments as well.

Yes, the sebbie goslings go through what I call "teenager" syndrome. You'll have worked with them for months and they will all go in to their pens or house at night and then one day, they all rebell.

They won't go in where they are supposed to and they won't let you touch them anymore. The will eventually come out of it. Just spend lots of time with them doing chores or just sitting around with them.

Ah, so these lavenders may just be going through a phase. That's a bit of a relief. i haven't spent as much time with them lately, what with medical issues with one of my cats, and then my lame goose. Will try to spend more time so they get comfortable.

So i wonder what cross created the saddlebacks? In my oldest group i have four saddlebacks. One of them is massive, just huge. At two months he is way bigger than my adults. Plus, he has no curly feathers at all, completely smooth. But he is the sweetest guy, follows me around, lets me pet him. i'm just wondering how much bigger he's going to get(!).

Back
Top Bottom