Breeding & Genetics Question *Now with MORE Pics*

Daddy's barring isn't a problem. If barring is present, it WILL show, so it can be selected against pretty easily. If the sussexX pullet doesn't show barring, it isn't an issue--she didn't inherit the gene. The hackles may be more of an issue. What do HER hackles look like?

If the OP wants to work with this, why are people giving him/her a hard time? This is not really any different than if someone wants to create a new variety or allowing their backyard flock to breed and perpetuate itself according to selected goals (in fact the later is EXACTLY what the OP has stated as a goal).

How about if we provide information and not judgment?

Quote:
The fertility problem is most likely the male sussex and not the females. You may have to trim some feathers away from the vents of the male and females to improve the chance of sperm getting into the female vents. Hatch as many eggs as you can from the male sussex and female sussex that you have.

Then use a male from the cross, to cross with your sussex hens and any females you hatch.

Tim

She is the white chicken
31743_p1010806.jpg

31743_p1010807.jpg

31743_p1010808.jpg

Quote:
I am confused- You want to cross a male sussex ( that you do not have) with a female hybrid sussex. The female hybrid sussex (chick and juvenile picture) is a cross between the barred rooster (in the picture) and a female sussex (also in a picture).

Is that correct?

Tim

Quote:
I am confused- You want to cross a male sussex ( that you do not have) with a female hybrid sussex. The female hybrid sussex (chick and juvenile picture) is a cross between the barred rooster (in the picture) and a female sussex (also in a picture).

Is that correct?

Tim

Yes.
I also what to know how close will I get to a Sussex if I breed on through the generations.

Quote:
I'd say it is NOT the same thing. The OP wants to start a line of sussex, with a barred roo of unknown breeding as the founding roo. She will be producing a LOT of chicks over time, some which do, some which do not look like sussex, and none of which will breed true for generations. Unless she is planning on eating all the rejects, I don't know what she will do with them, sell them? Call them what? Not quite sussex? If you don't think barring can wreak havoc on a line, please visit this page of the billion post marans thread. It is a HUGE problem in some marans lines, does not always show, especially with diluting genes present and is just a nightmare to get rid of.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77436&p=428

Last edited:
Quote:
Once you have a bird that meets the breed standard, it IS the breed.

Gosh.. In a perfect world, all dog breeders would have an innate understanding of this fundamental concept.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom