Breeding Hambars/Hampbars

yes
smile.png
that will work too... you just use a male over a barred female... then breed the male from that cross back to female Red Sussex... and go on from there
smile.png

smile.png
Keith
SC

Quote:
So using the red sussex will they potentially be lighter?

as I have never seen any bred this way i can not be sure but i think they would...

Keith

Just a thought about barring in all of these auto sexing breeds. Would using a show type barred rock hen with slow feathering in the beginning help with the barring in the __bar breed hens? Most of the hambar/legbar/rhodebar hens I see are mostly solid with a hint of barring and I wonder if its from using hatchery stock style barred rocks with faster feathering/less defined barring is the reason why. Has anyone tried using good barred rocks? I see yall talking about using good new hampshires and good rhode islands for type and everyone is focused on the cocks color but what about hens?

Quote:
Yes I am going for that my-self, here's what I posted earlier:
yes Illia that's my plan to use the NH females from Kathy's line and I am working on getting either eggs or some chicks from her out of those fantastic Barred Rock females and one of the German NH males=(BSL F1) breeder male and cross him onto the German NH females and that should be a good start for the body type I'm shooting for.
smile.png

These BRs Kathy has are from jwhip and are stock from Good Shepard Poultry Farms an old line (Frank Reese) from way back in 1920 no new blood has been added to them.

Sweet huh?

Jeff

Quote:
If you are wanting to start a "American Hambar" line it wouldnt be all that hard just time consuming.
Basically you would need Partridge Rock (Brown and Partridge are the same thing), Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire.

Chris

Hi hope all are doing great... The barred rocks I started with when I began my Hambar breeding were number one very good egg layers.. but they also had very very dark nice barring... the problem is not in the barred rocks themselves but in the fact that Rhodebar, Hambar no matter what you are breeding to the barring is not .. NOT going to be like the males nor like the Barred Rocks.... a female only gets.. uses ONE set of genes that are barred... one..
smile.png
this is why the barring is NEVER as good as a male... the gold, the red the buff genes that makes them RIR and New Hampshires will always be there.... I know a breeder that worked for YEARS to make the barring more pronounced and simply gave it up .... you would have to change the very structure of the females DNA and then you might have anything even if you could..... you can keep it stable... you have to remember what barring is.... a barred rock is really a Black chicken that has a barring gene that adds white.... this very action is what acts in an Autosexing breed... the two genes of the male adds that white and you get better barring... in the chicks, I have read that is that white head spot of the barred rock but in Rhodebars or other autosexing breeds it's all over his body
smile.png

if anyone wants to, go over to this link..... http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewforum.php?f=10&start=50
there
are guys and girls over there that can look at a chick and tell you what genes are there
smile.png

Keith
SC

Back
Top Bottom