breeding/hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abhaya, Nov 22, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am new to raising chickens and have never done any breeding. I finally have a roo he is good natured and a looker to boot.

I am just looking to not have to keep buying chicks every year to keep the flock young and laying.

right now I have 1 roo to 6 girls 1 laying 5 really close to starting to lay. I also have 5 chicks I think 1 is male. My silkies are seperate.

Do I ust let nature take its course or what do I need to do? I do not have a bator and really would ust prefer to let the hens go broody.

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    If you don't want to collect and incubate yourself then just let the hens do what nature intended and let them hatch the chicks on their own. Keep in mind though that not every hen (or any at all sometimes) will go broody so you may have to get another hen specifically for that purpose or else hatch them yourself. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Those silkies will be perfect incubators for you. They go broody so easily. If your other chickens are of breeds that don't go broody, you may have to set up the silkies with eggs from the others.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I do.

It's why I have two bators... no silkies at this time...

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not wanting to hatch them myself this year is why I bought silkies. They go broody so often set them up with eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by