breeding-how close is too close?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seminolewind, Jan 6, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I hatched a few hens and a few roos. I don't know if they're related, but they may all have the same father. I gave the roos to a friend. She hatched some chicks from one of my roos and her hen. Can I take a cockerel from that for breeding to my hens or is that too close?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm a bit rushed for time to respond, but you might do a search on "line breeding", using the search feature in the blue band above. A quick answer is that breeders do this all the time. If you see traits you don't want, you need to bring in new blood. If you do not see anything bad, you can keep inbreeding. Hopefully someone will have time to give you a better answer.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can breed brother to sister, parents to offspring. As long as you introduce some new blood every once in a whlie- like you did with your friends hen.... and what Ridgerunner said. [​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Usually brother to sister is not preferred. Good and bad characteristics are more likely to appear with that crossing. Also, many breeders have been successful with breeding father to daughter/mother to son for up to 5 generations without any problems. Hence how some breeders have closed flocks.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What you are most worried about with inbreeding is that recessive genes pair up, thus exhibiting bad traits. If you go through the genetics, the odds of recessive genes pairing up is the same whether it is a father-daughter match or a brother-sister. Really doesn't make any difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by