Breeding in brown speckled eggs

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
How exactly would you go about breeding in speckled eggs? Could it be done in one generation? If I bred a brown speckled egg layer rooster to a white/cream layer hen what would I get? Could I then breed the daughters of that cross back to a cream layer rooster and get some brown speckled layers? Or would it be more complicated than that?

How exactly would you go about breeding in speckled eggs? Could it be done in one generation? If I bred a brown speckled egg layer rooster to a white/cream layer hen what would I get? Could I then breed the daughters of that cross back to a cream layer rooster and get some brown speckled layers? Or would it be more complicated than that?
This piqued my curiosity, so I looked it up a little bit. I'll paste what I read then cite the page I got it from. This is at the very bottom of their site. I don't know if this is all-inclusive but hope it helps.

BREEDING TIP:​

If you are looking for the absolute heaviest speckling in the shortest number of years of breeding (yes, years – remember why speckled layer chicks are expensive) then cross very heavily speckled Marans or Dark Cocoa Speckled F4-F8 Olive Egger hatch mates together for 1 or 2 generations until the hens are laying very heavily speckled dark brown eggs. You must save their brothers and then use these heavy speckled gene roos over homozygous blue laying hens to produce green shells with the heaviest brown speckling possible. Back cross the offspring to the fathers to keep the speckling strong. Using 6 or more homozygous blue layer hens to produce the F1 Speckled Olive Egger offspring will help refresh the genetics so back crossing or inbreeding does not become an issue. The first step of breeding hatch mates from a heavily speckled line to each other as a way to “set” the heaviest speckling possible should not be skipped.

From: https://silverhomestead.com/how-to-...eaviest speckling in,the hens are laying very

Back
Top Bottom