Breeding Isa Brown Rooster with Barred Plymouth Rock Hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gingmf1980, Sep 5, 2014.

1. gingmf1980

gingmf1980 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    I just hatched our first batch of eggs in the incubator unfortunately I only had 2 eggs to hatch and only one hatched but I'm wondering a few things we couldn't find a RIR or New Hampshire Rooster and instead had an Isa Brown given to us so will the babies be able to be sexed by color? The one that hatched has a white spot so I'm assuming male but hard to tell. Has anyone got pictures of this cross?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't know a lot about chicken genetics, so I can't really answer your question. However, I'm sure there are other BYCers who can help. [​IMG]

3. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    it should be sexlinked- looks like you have a boy

4. gingmf1980

gingmf1980 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    I'm going to find out soon enough I guess when he starts crowing every morning that might be the answer to my question lol. Guess I will have to hatch more now that I have eggs to spare and find out if they are sexed or not :)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have no idea. Mountain Peeps has left you with a great link to follow. Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If cockerel was a true ISA Brown, then the resulting chick is not a sex linked bird. ISA browns are already sex links themselves - breeding them in a second generation cross negates the sex linking characteristics....even though your resulting chick seems to be showing sex linked characteristic markings. True sex linking for the color sex linked birds (red and black) is a first generation only sort of thing.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Because Isa Browns are hybrids (Red Sex Links) utilizing a white feathered hen, you are not guaranteed to have sex link chicks. The following is a direct quote from our section on "sex linked chickens" at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...beginners-what-they-are-and-how-to-breed-them, specifically with regard to breeding Black Sex Links which use the Barred hen. " Problems with breeding this sex link: you should use heritage chickens in your parent lines, most hatchery grade chickens have crosses that mess up the sex link properties. In your red rooster parent, look for red earlobes and dark feather coloring free from any white spots and light colored shafting (which Isa Browns have). Your hen should show no signs of red feathers, and carry a descent quality barred pattern. Sex link characteristics will not carry through if you try to breed the offspring." If you want guaranteed Black Sex Links, you need to get a pure red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by