Breeding Isa Brown Rooster with Barred Plymouth Rock Hen

gingmf1980

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
I just hatched our first batch of eggs in the incubator unfortunately I only had 2 eggs to hatch and only one hatched but I'm wondering a few things we couldn't find a RIR or New Hampshire Rooster and instead had an Isa Brown given to us so will the babies be able to be sexed by color? The one that hatched has a white spot so I'm assuming male but hard to tell. Has anyone got pictures of this cross?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I don't know a lot about chicken genetics, so I can't really answer your question. However, I'm sure there are other BYCers who can help.
smile.png

I'm going to find out soon enough I guess when he starts crowing every morning that might be the answer to my question lol. Guess I will have to hatch more now that I have eggs to spare and find out if they are sexed or not :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have no idea. Mountain Peeps has left you with a great link to follow. Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

If cockerel was a true ISA Brown, then the resulting chick is not a sex linked bird. ISA browns are already sex links themselves - breeding them in a second generation cross negates the sex linking characteristics....even though your resulting chick seems to be showing sex linked characteristic markings. True sex linking for the color sex linked birds (red and black) is a first generation only sort of thing.

couldn't find a RIR or New Hampshire Rooster and instead had an Isa Brown given to us so will the babies be able to be sexed by color? The one that hatched has a white spot so I'm assuming male but hard to tell. Has anyone got pictures of this cross?
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Because Isa Browns are hybrids (Red Sex Links) utilizing a white feathered hen, you are not guaranteed to have sex link chicks. The following is a direct quote from our section on "sex linked chickens" at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...beginners-what-they-are-and-how-to-breed-them, specifically with regard to breeding Black Sex Links which use the Barred hen. " Problems with breeding this sex link: you should use heritage chickens in your parent lines, most hatchery grade chickens have crosses that mess up the sex link properties. In your red rooster parent, look for red earlobes and dark feather coloring free from any white spots and light colored shafting (which Isa Browns have). Your hen should show no signs of red feathers, and carry a descent quality barred pattern. Sex link characteristics will not carry through if you try to breed the offspring." If you want guaranteed Black Sex Links, you need to get a pure red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom