Breeding Lavender Mottled

purplechicken7

Chirping
May 24, 2016
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I was wondering how to effectively breed lavender mottled bantam Cochins. I was thinking of starting with just black mottled and lavender stock but then I had another idea. Should I also include solid black with the lavender and black mottled stock? I’m new to genetics and would really appreciate some help.

Lavender requires a copy from each parent to show the color. Mottled also needs a copy from each parent to show, so starting with one lavender and one black mottled would probably be the quickest. You could get there in a few generations.

Lavender requires a copy from each parent to show the color. Mottled also needs a copy from each parent to show, so starting with one lavender and one black mottled would probably be the quickest. You could get there in a few generations.

Thank you! I actually JUST placed an order for three black mottled and three lavender.

On your first generation, you won't get any lavender colored offspring, but they will all be split to lavender. Likewise, none will look mottled, but they will all be mottled carriers. Breeding the offspring together should give some mottled lavenders and some mottled blacks.

Back
Top Bottom