1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding meat birds, what to use..?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BikerBabeRules, Mar 20, 2009.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Hi-
    Was wondering what folks who breed their own meat birds use for birds. I'm looking for a hearty meat bird that can be bred, hatched and raised in my backyard. Thanks for your insight.

2. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    I second that question. I want to do meat birds but not have to buy them every year. I see cornish rocks listed all the time from hatcherys as their meat birds.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

White Rocks would make a very good dual purpose bird for you to breed. The cockerels would make good fryers and the pullets would be a good choice to sell as started pullets.

There are other breeds, too. I am sure there will be many good replies to this question.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    you can definitely use many of the heavy breeds as great dual-purpose birds (eggs and meat). I know that Orpingtons, Marans, and Cochins are all supposed to be good meat birds and if you keep some around they will lay for you as well. You can keep a bunch of hens for laying and a rooster or two then let the girls hatch now and again and eat the surplus boys (or all of the extras). That is the old-fashioned way to do it. These heritage breeds grow much more slowly and take about twice as long 12-18 weeks to be ready for slaughter, but they are healthier, more flavorful, and more self sufficient than the cornish cross "meaties."

5. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    thanks for the input. How do they hatch Jumbo Cornish X's? They must be a mix of something, right?

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:As far as I know they are an A/I hybrid and don't breed true.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by