breeding meat birds, what to use..?

BikerBabeRules

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-
Was wondering what folks who breed their own meat birds use for birds. I'm looking for a hearty meat bird that can be bred, hatched and raised in my backyard. Thanks for your insight.

White Rocks would make a very good dual purpose bird for you to breed. The cockerels would make good fryers and the pullets would be a good choice to sell as started pullets.

There are other breeds, too. I am sure there will be many good replies to this question.

you can definitely use many of the heavy breeds as great dual-purpose birds (eggs and meat). I know that Orpingtons, Marans, and Cochins are all supposed to be good meat birds and if you keep some around they will lay for you as well. You can keep a bunch of hens for laying and a rooster or two then let the girls hatch now and again and eat the surplus boys (or all of the extras). That is the old-fashioned way to do it. These heritage breeds grow much more slowly and take about twice as long 12-18 weeks to be ready for slaughter, but they are healthier, more flavorful, and more self sufficient than the cornish cross "meaties."

Back
Top Bottom