Breeding mystic onyx

GrayBlackbird

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
My question is this if I breed 2 mystic onyx will I get more mystic onyx or will I get silkies and jersey giants? I know they're technically not a breed but do they breed true or are they like sex links? Meaning I'd have to breed a silkie and jersey giant to get mystic onyx

What's a mystic onyx? Do you have pics? I have jersey giant hens and some silkie chicks I hope I get a silkie rooster if I do will I get a mystic onyx?

What's a mystic onyx? Do you have pics? I have jersey giant hens and some silkie chicks I hope I get a silkie rooster if I do will I get a mystic onyx?
Unless hoover hatchery didnt disclose other breeds they used I'm assuming. That's why im asking surely someone has tried breeding them. I also have jg and silkies but was planning on selling the jg and just breeding the mystic onyx. I can try and do pics but I've never loaded one before

@GrayBlackbird

They are a breed. A new one, and not recognized, but they should breed true. Not a first-generation cross-breed.

As I understand it (I could be mistaken) a slightly older new breed, called "Asian Black" was developed using birds of a Langshan type from somewhere in Asia. Not our western show and hobby type Langshans. Asian Blacks didn't impress anybody in the west, because they grow slowly and don't lay all that well compared to our production types. But people found them tastier.

In a lot of countries, fibromelanistic chicken meat commands a high price. People believe (probably correctly, according to the science) that it's got health benefits. So somebody took Asian Blacks and crossed them with silkies to get the fibro gene, and then bred the offspring back to Asian Blacks and selected the birds that were most like Asian Blacks except that they're fibromelanistic, bred those together, and kept selectng 'til they'd created a population where they're all herterozygous for fibro and are not silkie-feathered.

Back
Top Bottom