breeding our flock

SteeleFaithFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Union, Illinois
Hello everyone. I could really use your help and experience.

I have a mixed flock of birds. Currently I have about 12 Delaware pullets and 2 cockerels, 6 Dark Cornish pullets and 2 cockerels. Then I have about 12 Araucanas pullets and 12 Red star pullets.

I want to breed a couple of the best looking Delawares one, because they are friendly birds. Two because they are not a common breed.

I also want to try to cross breed my Red Stars to a Dark Cornish.

I don't have an incubator and my birds are very free range. I am going to build 2 small coops. One for the Dellies and one for the DC x RS. For one rooster and 4 hens how big of a breeding poteen should I build? I plan on putting 1 or 2 DC hens to brood the clutch. This is my first attempt at chicken reproduction and I don't know what I don't know.

Any advice will be appreciated!

An easy way is to save up the eggs you want hatched, then give them to somebody who has an incubator. Some people on craigslist hatch other peoples eggs in their incubators and only charge per chick that hatches.

Breeding pens dont necessarily have to be that big. If you have a trio in each breeding pen (one rooster two hens) it's good to have it 4 to 6 sq ft.

Three local farm store has an incubator for $45.00 that will hatch 4 dozen eggs. It doesn't have circulating air though. How do you store eggs for hatching? How long is the incubation time for chicken eggs?

Wow that incubator is a good deal. I got my LG for $100 and it's pretty crappy. Mine doesnt have a fan either, so you just have to higher the temperature to 100 to 101 degrees. It takes 21 days to hatch chicken eggs, stop turning them day 18 and higher the humidity to 60%-70% this will help them get situated for hatching on day 21.

You can store them in an egg carton or basket in a cool place out of the sun like a closet or basement.

Last edited:
Very cool thank you for this information. I'm starting to think that my chickens are the most interesting animal of my farm. Now the little buggers need to start laying some eggs!

Back
Top Bottom