1st try at incubating

THEFERMANATOR

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2022
Zephyrhills, Fl
My flock is about a year and a half old now, my kids have been hounding me to hatch some chicks, so I decided to try and hatch some chicks to add to my flock. I went with a nurture right 360 incubator after considerable reading. The incubation went OK, but the humidity ran pretty high in it. I'm in central Florida, so it's pretty humid here to begin with, but filling just the center chamber with the vent wide open had me staying around 58-60% humidity, and the last 3 days when I added water to the B chamber had it running in the low 80's for humidity.

Out of the 16 eggs I put in, 7 hatched, of the 9 that didn't hatch, 4 had quite a bit of development, 2 had very little, and the other 3 showed none. I don't know if I hurt them when I 1st candled them, if the high humidity harmed them, or if they were just bad eggs that kept them from developing, but it was my 1st try incubating. I'm going to try a dry hatch next time since it is so humid in Florida to begin with.

I was really hoping for mostly hens because my flock is starting to get some age on it, but if I'm sexing them correctly, I got 1 pullet, and 6 cockerels. Only 1 has dark legs and is mostly black, the other 6 all have light colored legs, large yellow patches on there heads, and light colored feathers on there body. Maby next time I can get some more pullets.

The 1 on the left is the only hen I think I got, so it looks like I got some fryers out of this hatch. This is my other post here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ying-to-see-if-i-have-7-or-8-pullets.1557298/

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_110649724_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240324_110649724_HDR.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 13
That's a pretty good little batch of chicks for your first time! You'll get it refined and increase your percentage but I think that's great!! Your kids must be tickled!!

Congratulations on your 1st hatch. I also just had my 1st chick hatch today and number 2 is working on cracking the shell. I had 8 eggs set and have 4 left in the incubator. For the blue eggs did I rely on the smell test to check for bad eggs. I had some bad eggs in which I sorted out before lock down.

Back
Top Bottom