Breeding pens

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Now that I'm going to be breeding chickens (and most likely ducks as soon as I can get some good quality ones) I'm needing to build some breeding pens which I can also use for growing out pens if needed. I'm going to be planning for four to start with.

Would 2.6mx4m be okay? How many full grown birds would be happy in there? My main birds will be large birds such as Plymouth rocks, Australorp and Sussex to name a few.

Appreciate any tips as well please for either the pens or breeding. Thank you.

Sounds good.
Is that the coop alone with run attached or....?
I will be putting tin on one half. I will also be putting a door in between them so if I'm not using all I can open one up and they can have the 2.

If it's too small I've got plenty of paddock to build in so it won't be a problem. I'm just trying to make them a good size without going overboard:confused:.

I personally prefer 1 sqm per bird of run space, so around 10 max?

I'd also provide as much covered space as you can manage. Building roofs on a slant is always good and gives you the option to rig up some water collection too.

Might serve to line the lower half where runs meet with plywood to keep boys from fighting through the fence.

I plan to do my own at some point here, keeping with the walk-in aviary style with 3 solid ply walls facing the wind to provide the most shelter and a roofing over these.

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with the cold, so can get away with the above. You may want to take some extra precautions for predators though.

Back
Top Bottom