Breeding Pens

archershan

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
I am wanting to separate my specific chicken breeds. I have chosen to build 4x8 pens framed out of 4x4's and 2x4's to fit into my leanto. They will also be 6' tall and have stucco wire around the cage. Do you think this would be big enough for a breeding trio or quartet of standard chickens?

My breeding pens are in an 8x6 area. Three pens are inside there. That gives each pen 14 ft squared. I have a trio of LF buff brahmas in one. Three capons in the end one. I do have an empty one I plan on filling with LF light brahmas this weekend.

I have a light brahma roo covering a Light brahma hen, and buff brahma hen. They will be one of my trios until i get a decent buff roo.

yeah, my light pair are from a VERY nice farm near Tulsa. I bought them for 18 a piece because the auctioneer said they were a pair of cockerels. When it was actually a male/female pair. The other pairs were going for over 30 a piece. So I made out like a bandit! My lights are HUGE compared to my buff hen. But the buff is actually a better layer. I just started getting some chicks yesterday that my silkie hen has hatched out for me!

I just started getting chicks April. I only have one good hen and rooster. The other buff hen I have is way too small and has a dew minor defects. I plan on getting rid of her soon. I might bring her to an auction or whatever they are.

Back
Top Bottom