Breeding plymouth rocks

MandiRock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Central Mississippi
I thought I once read that if you breed a barred rock to a white leghorn, your chicks may be white and have ghost stripes. Is this true? For some reason I can't remember where I read it and I can't find it again. If it is true, would it also happen if I bred a barred rock to a white rock? And does the rooster have to be the one that is barred?

This is true. However, you need the Barred rock to be the Mother - Barring is sexlinked, and if the father is the Barred, only his daughters will be White-Barred.

Any true white chicken and any true Barred chicken will work in this cross.

Thank you :) So if later on down the road I wanted to try this, I should get a white roo?

And another question.. if the roo was barred and he bred with white hens, then would I be able to sex them as soon as their feathers came in? girls being ghost striped, boys being solid?

If the Rooster is Barred and the Hen is Dominate White (e.g. Leghorn) all offspring should be White with "Ghost Barring"
If the Rooster is Dominate White and the Hen is Barred then offspring should be Males White with "Ghost Barring" and Females solid White

Now if the Rooster is Barred and the Hen is Recessive White (e.g. most White Rocks) all offspring should be Barred "split of recessive white"
If the Rooster is Recessive White and the Hen is Barred then offspring should be Males Barred Females Black and both "split of recessive white"

Chris

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I was wondering something, and I think you could help, if you'd be so kind?
I have a ghost barred cockerel & a ghost barred pullet. When they reach maturity, if I breed them, will some/all of their offspring be ghost barred?

Back
Top Bottom