Breeding plymouth rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MandiRock, Feb 18, 2012.

1. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I thought I once read that if you breed a barred rock to a white leghorn, your chicks may be white and have ghost stripes. Is this true? For some reason I can't remember where I read it and I can't find it again. If it is true, would it also happen if I bred a barred rock to a white rock? And does the rooster have to be the one that is barred?

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    This is true. However, you need the Barred rock to be the Mother - Barring is sexlinked, and if the father is the Barred, only his daughters will be White-Barred.

Any true white chicken and any true Barred chicken will work in this cross.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Oh, and Welcome to the website!

4. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    Thank you :) So if later on down the road I wanted to try this, I should get a white roo?

And another question.. if the roo was barred and he bred with white hens, then would I be able to sex them as soon as their feathers came in? girls being ghost striped, boys being solid?

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    No, you can't sex them that way if the rooster is barred. All the chicks would then be barred.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If the Rooster is Barred and the Hen is Dominate White (e.g. Leghorn) all offspring should be White with "Ghost Barring"
    If the Rooster is Dominate White and the Hen is Barred then offspring should be Males White with "Ghost Barring" and Females solid White

Now if the Rooster is Barred and the Hen is Recessive White (e.g. most White Rocks) all offspring should be Barred "split of recessive white"
    If the Rooster is Recessive White and the Hen is Barred then offspring should be Males Barred Females Black and both "split of recessive white"

Chris

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Lynn725

Lynn725 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Kentucky
    I know this thread is old, but I was wondering something, and I think you could help, if you'd be so kind?
    I have a ghost barred cockerel & a ghost barred pullet. When they reach maturity, if I breed them, will some/all of their offspring be ghost barred?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by