Breeding project!

My ultimate goal right now is a white feather foot cochin. Reason im excited about breeding Vanilla to Darling is because he is white and has feathered feet. So i have to start somewhere. He is silkie though, would that be a issue or can i breed it out?

My ultimate goal right now is a white feather foot cochin. Reason im excited about breeding Vanilla to Darling is because he is white and has feathered feet. So i have to start somewhere. He is silkie though, would that be a issue or can i breed it out?
You will probably get some silkied, and hard feathered birds, possibly some crested too. I would pick the ones that have the characteristics your looking for, and then breed them back to the Serama.
The very best thing would be to either get a cochin roo to breed to Darling, or a Serama roo to breed to Emily.

You will probably get some silkied, and hard feathered birds, possibly some crested too. I would pick the ones that have the characteristics your looking for, and then breed them back to the Serama.
The very best thing would be to either get a cochin roo to breed to Darling, or a Serama roo to breed to Emily.
Thank you! I will probably work on that once i plan things out, then.

Silkie Seramas are so darn cute! I’ll just breed back the hard feathered ones though. :p

Thank you! I will probably work on that once i plan things out, then.

Silkie Seramas are so darn cute! I’ll just breed back the hard feathered ones though. :p
It will make the project a whole lot easier. :) Plus, roo's are really easy to find. Follow a local poultry group and make a post saying your looking for one, which ever you choose. I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest.
I would probably go with the Cochin roo to Darling. Since you want a Serama, with feathered feet, it will make more sense to breed the feathered feet into the Serama, than the Serama into the Cochin.

Vanilla mated Darling, and im pretty sure its fertile. (Or i hope) If we get a broody i can hatch the eggs. Question, though. Darlings eggs are up to 1 OZ in weight, pretty small. Could a large or standard chicken incubate them? Wondering if the eggs or chicks could get hurt or smashed.
Probably not large, i doubt it. But maybe standard? Darling doesn’t go broody often, Rizo does. I could just keep them in the fridge til Rizo or Darling would.
I think it'll be ok, the eggs might just hatch a little earlier :p.

Silkied genotype lies recessive so a Bird can possess it and you may not necessarily know because they can be smooth or frizzle However both parents have to have the gene either recessive or dominant in order for the offspring to present as silkied Sarama. There is such thing as booted Serama and I do have some in my breeding program but there’s really no place to show them because they’re such oddballs they can’t show in SCCL and I’ve never seen one show in feather legged bantams (but had a judge tell me they can. But the best they would do would be best variety and no higher. and they don’t have a class in tabletop.

Back
Top Bottom