Breeding projects

Quote:
OK the reason I said I would use Leghorns though, was because I have them in my possesion. I could try to get some Yokahama but I don't know if I could maybe a different color lol....

what would happen if i crossed my barred plymouth rock rooster with a blue andalusian pullet??
i am not going to breed them but i was wondering what would happen if i did.

The Plymouth Rock Standard and transfering that information, to life. Good SQ LF Barred Rocks are big birds. I've noticed that Partridge Rocks tend smaller generally.

I'm starting with a base group that is a few steps up from production, they hae been bred toward the standard, they've been culled for not producing and poor coloring etc. They're pretty good sized.

My recollection of my Great Grandmother's prize barred rocks are dim. I got old somehow.

I'm setting up a notebook with goals and guidelines.

What lay rate would you expect from a mature barred rock hen? What should her mature weight be? A large hen, more important than a truly large Roo. And I'm looking for a fairly wide bodied bird for improvement purposes? As well as coming as close as I can to all the other standard requirements, obviously.

I know partridge haven't been focused on nearly as thoroughly for proper size and laying the way barreds have. But their coloring stops my heart, so I'm going that way.

Hints on what is hard to work on, what I should REALLY focus on? It will all go into the notebook. Since I'm new to working with chicken genetics, I'll probably mark to tell them apart and weigh them until I get a feel for it.

The Cochins are going to be a lark for me, I just can no longer resist featherfeet after you people addicted me. I'm going to play in the black/blue/splash mud with y'all.

Still records can't but help there either.

At least mutts will be significantly odd...

I haven't found a show LF partridge rock breeder. So I'm going with some folks who've been working at a preservation/heritage flock. That's at least leaps in the right direction.

Hugs to you all, any thing I should know gladly welcomed.

hmmm i wonder if there is a site where u can enter in the breed and colour of a chicken and cross it with a diferent breed and coloured chicken and it would show you what the offspring would look like hmmmmmm..

What other colors would look good on a Sumatra? The only colors I could think of were buff (probably not) and lavendar. Lavendar would work the best of those 2 but the problem would be finding a lavendar bird that I could cross with my black Sumatras (I cross with black right?).

Back
Top Bottom