1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

breeding pros and cons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by texasrangers1, Aug 2, 2014.

1. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    I need some insight on breeding, I need people to tell me the pro's and con's about breeding. Also, what will it do to the show chickens that I want to breed, will it open a whole lot of doors for showing, breeding,etc. or will it close a whole lot of doors for me as the breeder and show person.

2. Catmoose1347

Catmoose1347 Chirping

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington
    I can't say anything about showing birds. I've got no experience with that.

Anyway, people usually breed their backyard flock for different color eggs, feathers, and the sense of awe that comes with raising a chicken from an egg to an adult, and creating the egg! :D

Some pros are that you can breed for desired traits more easily, rather than buying chicks that you have no idea what they will turn into as adults.

Cons are usually that hatching the eggs may be difficult. If you incubate the eggs, you have to be vigilant about turning them, keeping temp and humidity right, etc. Chicks raised by their mother have to be separated to prevent bullying from the rest of the flock. And, of course, there's the possibility of too many of one sex, usually males. Let's say that I hatch 10 eggs and all of them are boys = not good. :p

That's all I can think of now...maybe someone else has more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: