Breeding Question

pamperedamber

Songster
Dec 24, 2015
Riverside, Ca
My hens are 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Black Sexlink, and 1 Buff Orpington.

If i Breed to a RIR what kind of offspring will I get and what will the egg colors be?

What would you suggest in terms of a roo to breed with my girls?

What other girls should I get to get a more colorful egg basket?

Thank you for all your help.

What color of Wyandotte is it?

RIR x EE: Completely unpredictable, as EEs are mutts. Offspring may or may not produce green eggs. Probably will show modified pea combs.

RIR x Wyandotte: Again, depends on the color of the Wyandotte. RIR x SLW will produce Sex Linked offspring; males will be Silver with lots of black patterning through the feather, potentially some lacing on the breast, and some red leakage. Females will be red with some black patterning. RIR x GLW offspring will be red with lots of black patterning and potentially lacing on the breast. Eggs will be brown. Comb will be modified rose.

RIR x BSL: Again, BSLs are hybrids so semi-unpredictable. About 50% of the offspring should be black with plenty of red leakage and the other half should be red with plenty of black leakage, but it may vary from that. Eggs will be brown. Comb will be single.

RIR x Buff Orp: Offspring will be a medium red, between the color of the RIR and the BO. Probbaly will have black leakage in the tail. Light brown egg. Single comb.

What kind of roo should you use to breed? You are just breeding mutts so something that has no aggressive tendencies and is good with the hens, preferably from a breed that lays well. I personally would suggest avoiding RIRs since the cocks are known for meanness. If you are interested in a colorful egg basket you might want to aqcuire a Marans, Ameraucana, or Easter Egger (carrying the blue gene) cock, as they can be used to produce offspring which lay many different colors of eggs depending on what they are crossed with. As a bonus, if you avoid purchasing a roo who is Silver, Barred, or White, he can be used over hens who are Silver or Barred to produce sex linked offspring.

If you want colorful eggs, consider adding Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders, Olive Eggers, or True Ameraucana hens to your flock. The colors will be brighter and/or darker if you purchase the birds from a breeder instead of a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom