Breeding Question???

Circle W Farms

Chirping
Jun 21, 2016
Antreville,SC
My Coop
My Coop
I have Production RIR and I am having a terrible cockerel to pullet ratio when hatching. I have hatched 3 clutches so far this year. The first I had 5 cockerels and 3 pullets , the second I had 2 cockerels and 3 pullets and the third I had 7 cockerels and 3 pullets. All of these have come from my base flock of 3 pullets and 1 cockerel (they will be a year old in July). I am super new at breeding and genetics. Can some explain why they are producing so many males and what can I do to fix it?

Sad fact of life. Although a flock wants about 1 roo for about a dozen hens, they'll still hatch about 50/50. In industrial farming, the roos are culled as soon as they are and sexed (if it is a laying breed).

Extra roosters are nearly impossible to adopt out and are usually doomed to be culled or raised for the table. If you feel you can keep them separate from the flock, you may want to consider raising them to about 16 or 20 weeks and harvest for your freezer. Any that grow into gorgeous roosters or good leaders can be kept for breeding stock

Thanks Mace. I will raise them for the freezer. Is there anything that can be done to increase the hen ratio? I'm open to anything.
Sadly, I wouldn't know! I only casually raise chickens myself and don't purposefully hatch (if a girl goes broody, I let her do it if she wants and assist if I can). I there is a way to increase the ratio, I' like to know too!

I have Production RIR and I am having a terrible cockerel to pullet ratio when hatching. I have hatched 3 clutches so far this year. The first I had 5 cockerels and 3 pullets , the second I had 2 cockerels and 3 pullets and the third I had 7 cockerels and 3 pullets. All of these have come from my base flock of 3 pullets and 1 cockerel (they will be a year old in July). I am super new at breeding and genetics. Can some explain why they are producing so many males and what can I do to fix it?

The same reason some men produce mostly girls, and some produce mostly boys. On the bright side, it sounds like you have several meals coming your way.

Number of chicks produced to date too low to say ratio differs from 50/50. I have had broods that where 11 male / 1 female as well as the opposite. When number of broods small, it is easy to have brood like that mess up your ratio.

Back
Top Bottom