Breeding Questions!

Dec 21, 2020
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
1. If i cross-breed two breeds will the offspring be more like the mother or the father or a 50/50 mix?
2. If i have a Silkie Orpington cross and i breed that with a pure leghorn will the offspring be (25% Silkie 25% Orpington 50% Leghorn)
OR (33% Silkie 33% Orpington 33% Leghorn)

If you cross two breeds the offspring will be genetically half of each parent. Depending on the combination of genes and how they interact will determine if the offspring looks more like the father, mother or something totally different.
It's all about which genes are dominate over others and how all the genes as a whole interact.
Crossing the crossed bird with a leghorn in theory would be 25% 25% 50%. It will get 50% off its genes from the leghorn so it will be 50% leghorn.
The other side will be a gamble. The cross has sets of genes. Each set has one silkie gene and one Orpington gene. It will pass one gene from each set. It could be the silkie gene or the Orp gene. There's no way of knowing which.
So with that it could pass on more silkie genes and be more % silkie. Or more Orp genes and be more % Orp. There's really no way to know so its common to just say it's passed on half and half.

If you cross two breeds the offspring will be genetically half of each parent. Depending on the combination of genes and how they interact will determine if the offspring looks more like the father, mother or something totally different.
It's all about which genes are dominate over others and how all the genes as a whole interact.
Crossing the crossed bird with a leghorn in theory would be 25% 25% 50%. It will get 50% off its genes from the leghorn so it will be 50% leghorn.
The other side will be a gamble. The cross has sets of genes. Each set has one silkie gene and one Orpington gene. It will pass one gene from each set. It could be the silkie gene or the Orp gene. There's no way of knowing which.
So with that it could pass on more silkie genes and be more % silkie. Or more Orp genes and be more % Orp. There's really no way to know so its common to just say it's passed on half and half.
That's really interesting! Thankyou so much!

THE F1 GENERATION WOULD THEORETICALLY BE PRETTY UNIFORM AND WHATEVER GENES ARE DOMINATE WOULD BE MOST EVIDENT ( THEORTICALLY LIKE BOTH PARENTS IN THE LOT ) IF THEY ARE TRUELY DISTINCT BREEDS, HOWEVER THE F2 GENERARION WOULD BE THE TREASURE CHEST LOTTERY WITH MANY COMBINATIONS OF GENES POPPING UP...

THE F1 GENERATION WOULD THEORETICALLY BE PRETTY UNIFORM AND WHATEVER GENES ARE DOMINATE WOULD BE MOST EVIDENT ( THEORTICALLY LIKE BOTH PARENTS IN THE LOT ) IF THEY ARE TRUELY DISTINCT BREEDS, HOWEVER THE F2 GENERARION WOULD BE THE TREASURE CHEST LOTTERY WITH MANY COMBINATIONS OF GENES POPPING UP...

So I have a young roo who is half golden laced Wyandotte, 25%Leghorn, and 25%Egyptian Fayomi. Breeding him back to a Wyandotte should roughly give me a 75% to 25% ration of genes I’m hoping. Would I be better off breeding the F2 generation back to the Wyandotte’s, or perhaps outcrossing with something else?

Back
Top Bottom