Breeding questions

Deezchix

Songster
Aug 7, 2021
New England U.S.
Brand new to pigeons so...
#1. Are sibling pairs expected to breed with eachother?
#2. When building a loft, is it ok that the nests are open to the whole family/generations? Or should I be dividing their breeding/nest areas?
Thank you!

I don't have any experience with breeding pigeons or keeping them in lofts, just in keeping singular pet ones. ^^;

Though if Squabble is anything to go by, who even tries flirting with his own shadow, siblings will likely pair up and breed if there's no unrelated birds, though could still do even then.

As for the loft design being either open or separated, I have read up on both sides and seen mixed results. Daughters and granddaughters are likely to help with the nest just as much as they are likely to cause damage to the brood from inexperience and possible fighting. Though even a pair on their own can damage the nest from being over-eager and cracking the eggs, so it is up to you for the design.

I don't have any experience with breeding pigeons or keeping them in lofts, just in keeping singular pet ones. ^^;

Though if Squabble is anything to go by, who even tries flirting with his own shadow, siblings will likely pair up and breed if there's no unrelated birds, though could still do even then.

As for the loft design being either open or separated, I have read up on both sides and seen mixed results. Daughters and granddaughters are likely to help with the nest just as much as they are likely to cause damage to the brood from inexperience and possible fighting. Though even a pair on their own can damage the nest from being over-eager and cracking the eggs, so it is up to you for the design.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom