BREEDING RED SEXLINK ROOSTER TO RED SEXLINK HEN. WHATS THE OUTCOME

Hittman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
I have a red sexlink rooster and I just bought some red sexlink hens. What would be the outcome of the cross.

This is my red sexlink rooster.

Last edited:
I dont mind the mixing just kinda wondering what they would look like.

Alot of interesting and mixed up stuff. Both the parents are mixes so the offspring will be a potpourri for sure.

x2. No way to know what they will look like until you see them
big_smile.png
. But they should be good egg layers.

Black, white with spots and streaks, reddish white mix, all kinds of stuff.

Egglaying often takes a hit as the vigor of the first hybrid "nick" is lost on the next go round. Still good enough though.

X2 on Fred's Hens. Since Red Sex Links are hybirds which will not breed true, the offspring will just be barnyard mutts. They should be decent layers, although likely not as good as their RSL mothers.

From my experience they laid just as well

I'm sure it's depending on the original stock I found the f1 generation color sexing did the opposite. The vast majority of the light colored chicks turned out to be roosters and the vast majority of the dark colored chicks were pullets. There were exceptions. But off the top of my head this color sexing of the second generation was close to 80% maybe even a little more.

The color controlling gene here is silver/gold. Silver (white) is incompletely dominant over gold (red). Your roo has one gene of each color and your hens have only a gold. The chicks will look like this:

males:
50% silver/gold like their father - will look silver like their father
50% gold/gold - will be red like their mother

females (only inherit this gene from their father):
50% silver - white like their father
50% gold - red like their mother

The interesting part is if you raise these chicks up and cross the gold/gold (red) roos with the silver (white) hens. The resulting progeny will once again be sex linked:
males - silver/gold, light colored chicks
females - gold, dark colored chicks

Thanks guys thus info is helpful and appreciated. Iam a newbie at this.

Back
Top Bottom