breeding siblings?

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I have read a couple of older threads about inbreeding and linebreeding including this one, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.phpid=224917&p=3 which was very helpful but doesn't directly answer my question.

I want to know whether accepted "safe" breeding practices for chickens include breeding half siblings to one another. Is this asking for trouble?

I really have no experience with breeding terminology, so please spell it out for me if you can.

Does "line breeding" include only parents to children/grandchildren?

Quote:
Punkin, you shouldn`t have any problems with half siblings, unless they were really closely related before that mating. Even full blooded siblings will sometimes breed out to 5-6 generations with no defects, but as I said, many flocks are so closely related that you can`t get by with it. Try it and see whatcha get. If anything is outta sorts, look for a rooster from an unrelated flock.
Ideally, you put father over daughters and granddaughters, etc. Then, sons over mom and grandsons over grandmother, etc. Take it out 5 generations, then pick the best cock from one side and put him over the best hen from the other family and start all over again. You can breed like this for a lifetime and never have defective birds. Hope this helps..........Pop

I use a form of chicken math to solve this problem.

Every season I add several new birds to my flock... new blood. Gives me an excuse to add birds that my husband doesn't object to.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom