Breeding silver to silver?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lucky1, Sep 15, 2012.

  1. Lucky1

    Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    221
    1
    91
    Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Can you breed a silver button quail male to a silver female and the eggs will hatch? i thought that i read somewhere that silver was a lethal gene... Just wanting to double check before pairing them off...
    Thanks In Advance
     
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. gorabbitgo

    gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

    124
    11
    91
    Sep 9, 2012
    I thought it was the pearl that was the lethal gene?
    Chances are that you'll still get some chicks, though, even if silver is also lethal. From what i've read the pearl results in a 25% fatality rate in eggs, but the remaining 75% should be okay. Hopefully an expert will chime in here to clear things up.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by