Breeding Texas A&M with Pharoahs

gingerrose5

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2016
Edgewater, Fl
Hi! We are adding some different color varieties to our flock and I was wondering if anyone knows what color variety would you get when a Texas A&M breeds with a Pharaoh? Is one of the color variations dominant over the other? Thanks!

Pharaoh brown is dominant so all offspring will be brown but will have recessive white genes. 2nd generation will throw tuxedos.

Last edited:
Pharaohs are incomplete dominant not dominant.

White is a recessive gene, meaning that each parent needs one copy of the gene for a bird to be born white. Brown is incomplete dominant, not dominant. Meaning that if you breed a pharoah to a white bird or recessive white (A&M) you will get pharaohs that now will be recessive white. Breeding those to another white bird or recessive white yields a percentage of white birds.

White wing pharaohs (tuxedo pharohs) are not created by crossing A&Ms and pharaohs. They are entirely separate genetics.

Golden is an example of a dominant color. When you breed a pharaoh to a golden the offspring is a golden.

I've got an aviary full of recessive white pharaohs and a&m. I have a brooder full of a&m and tuxedos but not one pharaoh.

If you are getting tuxedo offspring then you have a rosetta/tibetan/italian in there. Pharaohs do not make tuxedos in any combination. A&Ms will all have a genetic marker spot, it will be on the head or on the back, they were selected for this trait to identify them as market (meat) birds. Either you are referring to the marker spot or you have other genetics in the pen. There are white winged pharaohs but they are not tuxedos, they are specific line from JMF.

As far as having all white birds thats what happens when you cross recessive whites to visual whites.

Back
Top Bottom