Breeding tractors

You too. Pics when we get them done.
I think what I'll build is about 4x8 and 40" tall. Roof over the entire "wheelbarrow" that will be hinged one side for run, other side coop. Hardware cloth sides & bottom.
May even set it up 4wheeler towable. Lol

You too. Pics when we get them done.
I think what I'll build is about 4x8 and 40" tall. Roof over the entire "wheelbarrow" that will be hinged one side for run, other side coop. Hardware cloth sides & bottom.
May even set it up 4wheeler towable. Lol
Hmm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. Can you find any similar pics as an example? I dont get the hinged part.
Our current hoop style coops will be getting wheels and hitch receivers this spring so I can move them around with our 4 wheeler so I dont ever have to scoop poop!

Something like this would be absolutely perfect for chickens, just shorter in length probably. I'd hardware cloth the bottom so I wouldnt have to worry about running over any birds or mess with retractable wheels.
chicken-tractor-polycarbonate-creations.jpg
That’s a great-looking little tractor and a great idea, too, for the breeding groups’ housing.

I think I’d put roofing (or a tarp) all the way down both sides though, and maybe leave the two ends and possibly a bit at the front with no roof for sunbathing and ventilation. Otherwise rainy days won’t be very nice in the tractor. You could have your nesting box at the back end. If you extend your lengthwise base timbers a foot beyond the back end and maybe six inches beyond the front end, you could affix carriage bolts on the back ends as axels and just slip the wheels on and off to move the tractor. I have a rope tied across between the two front base timbers that I use to lift and pull my tractors forward.

I don’t think you’ll be happy with a HWC floor. The poop won’t fall through 1/2” HWC. One inch HWC is hard to get and the spaces would be too wide for chicken feet. Also it would squish the grass down, making it hard for the chickens to access it. I haven’t had any trouble moving my layers around in a tractor with no bottom. They’re very good about keeping out of the way. I give them a poultry netting yard, but that’s more work and expense—still, it’s an option to consider.

I haven’t had a lot of predator pressure, but if you do, you can run an electric fence wire around the base, close to the tractor and power it with a solar energizer. You have to move it when you move the tractor, but it’s a real short fence—not a huge cost in time and effort.

That’s a great-looking little tractor and a great idea, too, for the breeding groups’ housing.

I think I’d put roofing (or a tarp) all the way down both sides though, and maybe leave the two ends and possibly a bit at the front with no roof for sunbathing and ventilation. Otherwise rainy days won’t be very nice in the tractor. You could have your nesting box at the back end. If you extend your lengthwise base timbers a foot beyond the back end and maybe six inches beyond the front end, you could affix carriage bolts on the back ends as axels and just slip the wheels on and off to move the tractor. I have a rope tied across between the two front base timbers that I use to lift and pull my tractors forward.

I don’t think you’ll be happy with a HWC floor. The poop won’t fall through 1/2” HWC. One inch HWC is hard to get and the spaces would be too wide for chicken feet. Also it would squish the grass down, making it hard for the chickens to access it. I haven’t had any trouble moving my layers around in a tractor with no bottom. They’re very good about keeping out of the way. I give them a poultry netting yard, but that’s more work and expense—still, it’s an option to consider.

I haven’t had a lot of predator pressure, but if you do, you can run an electric fence wire around the base, close to the tractor and power it with a solar energizer. You have to move it when you move the tractor, but it’s a real short fence—not a huge cost in time and effort.
Thanks so much for the feedback and the info about hardware cloth. That would have been an expensive lesson to learn. We have had very little predation (🤞 I didnt jinx it) so far and will hopefully have the pasture fenced with woven wire and a few strands of electric this summer. General population will range with or without nets and breeders will vacation in these coops with daily or near daily movement for a month or so, so I'm not too worried about setting up extra space for them.

That is AWESOME graph/chart - thank you for sharing that.

Last year, I decided to try "a-frame" style tractors made from CP. They are 5' wide x 8' long and ... I have never measured how tall they actually are. The two CPs are 50' tall and meet in the center. I have not yet added the wheels I've planned on yet. Will soon - want to move these out to the pasture, and make some others for our front yard (for growing out chicks from the breeding groups).

I grew out the birds in these and not sure yet how the breeding would work. I didn't realize that they needed 40" for breeding, so this may not work. I was using the larger, walk-in 8x8 coops but wanted something smaller for our front yard and much easier to move. The 3 - 8x8's became permanent coop arrangements.

After growing up chicks in these - don't think they will work for a large breeding group. We'll see how it goes - I have one with a trio of FBCMs, 1 with a quad of 55 Flowery Hens, 1 with a quad of RBs (roo is HUGE!) and 1 with 4 CLB hens & 1 roo. Only the FBCMs had started laying - not consistent yet - late last fall. Haven't started back up yet since then.

Even moving them daily, the chickens just seem to be in 2 small of an area and that doesn't make me happy... Thinking about bringing in a fenced area in front of each pen - approx 4' tall, 2x4" wire w/ temporary posts & covered by bird netting to keep them in & other birds out. But that seems like it might turn out to be a lot of work? May put the 4 tractors next to each other, do fencing for each pair of tractors. Then let 1st 1 group out for a day; then 2nd group the next. See how they are impacting the turf in their areas and move it forward every few days rather than daily - forward past the area they were working.

Here's a pic w/ 2 - 55 Flowery hens before I tarped it and then again after. The split 2 ltr bottles along the top keep the CPs from tearing the tarp. I haven't installed the nest box yet either - will post pics when I have.

20200123_173836.jpg 200131_102357.jpg 200131_102348.jpg

Not fancy - but certainly worked for the chicks when they were smaller and will see if it works for the breeding groups. Free ranging just doesn't seem to be working for us - too many predators during the day when family is inside and I'm at work. The expensive/rare birds will no longer be allowed to free range at all - and will need to do HC aprons (& possibly on the whole structure) when move this farther away from the house.

Last edited:
So I just went out to the barn to see how an 8' panel would work. 9.5' panel was available so that was used. Bent panel to a 4' base and the height was 47" so the 8' panel should be around 42" .

So I just went out to the barn to see how an 8' panel would work. 9.5' panel was available so that was used. Bent panel to a 4' base and the height was 47" so the 8' panel should be around 42" .
Thank you!! I was thinking on the safe side I could do 10' panels as I have a use for the remainder of the panels, but this would obviously halve the number of panels I have to cut up.

I've been ordered to take it easy as I've been doing too much while pregnant, so this project may have to wait a few weeks to appease my husband, midwife friend, and doctor 🙄. I'm still planning planning planning though!

That is AWESOME graph/chart - thank you for sharing that.

Last year, I decided to try "a-frame" style tractors made from CP. They are 5' wide x 8' long and ... I have never measured how tall they actually are. The two CPs are 50' tall and meet in the center. I have not yet added the wheels I've planned on yet. Will soon - want to move these out to the pasture, and make some others for our front yard (for growing out chicks from the breeding groups).

I grew out the birds in these and not sure yet how the breeding would work. I didn't realize that they needed 40" for breeding, so this may not work. I was using the larger, walk-in 8x8 coops but wanted something smaller for our front yard and much easier to move. The 3 - 8x8's became permanent coop arrangements.

After growing up chicks in these - don't think they will work for a large breeding group. We'll see how it goes - I have one with a trio of FBCMs, 1 with a quad of 55 Flowery Hens, 1 with a quad of RBs (roo is HUGE!) and 1 with 4 CLB hens & 1 roo. Only the FBCMs had started laying - not consistent yet - late last fall. Haven't started back up yet since then.

Even moving them daily, the chickens just seem to be in 2 small of an area and that doesn't make me happy... Thinking about bringing in a fenced area in front of each pen - approx 4' tall, 2x4" wire w/ temporary posts & covered by bird netting to keep them in & other birds out. But that seems like it might turn out to be a lot of work? May put the 4 tractors next to each other, do fencing for each pair of tractors. Then let 1st 1 group out for a day; then 2nd group the next. See how they are impacting the turf in their areas and move it forward every few days rather than daily - forward past the area they were working.

Here's a pic w/ 2 - 55 Flowery hens before I tarped it and then again after. The split 2 ltr bottles along the top keep the CPs from tearing the tarp. I haven't installed the nest box yet either - will post pics when I have.

View attachment 2016793 View attachment 2016792 View attachment 2016791

Not fancy - but certainly worked for the chicks when they were smaller and will see if it works for the breeding groups. Free ranging just doesn't seem to be working for us - too many predators during the day when family is inside and I'm at work. The expensive/rare birds will no longer be allowed to free range at all - and will need to do HC aprons (& possibly on the whole structure) when move this farther away from the house.
I also considered doing an A-frame as I have one I use as a quarantine coop. I like that it would shed snow in winter, but not really a concern since they will only (for now) be used for breeding in fairer weather. The bent cattle panel provides the best area for the birds since you can go vertical with the walls, so I think I'll stick with that.
I think a communal yard where you let each group of birds out for a while would be the best. Least amount of fencing to move etc. and same number of coops that will be moved. Only downside is that it's more labor intensive, which I have to avoid with my life situation at the moment.

As long as your population density is low enough, you could sacrifice any grass inside the tractors (or use the tractors to prepare and fertilize future garden beds), use deep litter inside the tractors, set up your yard for them to share, and leave them stationary. They’ll kill the grass but they’ll also fertilize the area and you can quickly reestablish the grass when you’re ready. You’d need to keep litter of some kind in the tractors and, once the need becomes obvious, in the run as well, to keep from overdoing the nitrogen load to the soil. When you’re ready to move them back together, the area could either be used for gardening or reestablished as turf.

Back
Top Bottom