Breeding.

Dec 24, 2019
Alberta Canada
I have been looking up a few things about quail while trying to decide what time of livestock to get for my little acreage.

How long after introducing a roo and a hen will the hen lay a fertilized egg?

And how long will she be laying fertilized eggs?

Which does everybody prefer to let the hen lay on the eggs or put them in an incubator?

Then finally, how are the older laying hens for eating?

And when do you all cull your hens month wise?

What is recommended for housing quail in north central Alberta?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

i assume you are asking about coturnix quail? In alberta, you will probably want cage housing where the temps can be kept above freezing. for optimal fertility, 1 male : 4 females and approximately 1sq ft per bird. coturnix corner on you tube has cage building information. eggs should be fertile within the first week. hens will lay year round if given 14-16 hours of light per day. hens are typically rotated after 1 year and roos can be rotated up to twice per year. incubators are necessary as coturnix rarely brood their own chicks successfully. if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!!

I have been looking up a few things about quail while trying to decide what time of livestock to get for my little acreage.

How long after introducing a roo and a hen will the hen lay a fertilized egg?

About 7 days, due to liturature, but as life is no digital machine, this vary from individual to others.
I collect egg for hatching after 2 weeks, when the roo does its job.

And how long will she be laying fertilized eggs?

First year very good, after the first year fertilization drops ... sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Again, life is no machine.

Which does everybody prefer to let the hen lay on the eggs or put them in an incubator?

Coturnix Japonica are bad broody hens. 100% incubator. There are rare case of natural brooding, but it is like roulette.

Then finally, how are the older laying hens for eating?

And when do you all cull your hens month wise?

As I collect eggs for eating, I haven't harvested an old hen yet ... So I cannot tell.

What is recommended for housing quail in north central Alberta?

Idk, either... I am living in Germany. I have mine on the balcony and this winter temps were down to -8°C ... no problem for my birds.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom