Breeding

Do not mix Coturnix and Bobwhites. The Bobs are much more aggressive than the Cots and can injure them. So keep the different breeds of quail in their own quarters.

Bobs are kept in pairs ONLY.

Cots are kept 1 male to 4 to 7 females.

I don't know why so many people attempt to cross breed species. Not too long ago, one member wanted to breed a scale and a bobwhite. So, I did some research on cross breeding species, and found a very nice research paper. Here is a link to the results that I posted. I know what you're going to say, "but crosssing a bobwhite and a coturnix isn't listed". Yes, absolutely right, by rules, members are "prohibited" from linking to other sites similar to BYC, but to get this point across, here is a link that anyone trying to cross breed a bobwhite and a coturnix should read and heed. One would think that this would put an end to the "hybrid" discussion, but I doubt it.
James

James and Twocrows covered it but I'm going to add a couple pennies

Bob birds (coturnix bobwhite hybrid) have no purpose that can't be better fulfilled by a pure species. People have suggested to release them for hunting because they are mules (sterile) and won't become invasive however when you have put all that money into raising and growing them you would have been better off raising and releasing the species native to that area. Introduced gamebirds species almost never take hold when released in the wild in the US (ringneck/golden pheasants are the only real success story), most of the states in the union released tens of thousands of chukars each year back in the 50s and 60s and there are only a handful of established populations in the US localized to very small areas.

Cant stress enough that the process required to breed them is not humane and is likely to end in the hen you use being killed or at least severely brutalized by her mate.

James and Twocrows covered it but I'm going to add a couple pennies

Bob birds (coturnix bobwhite hybrid) have no purpose that can't be better fulfilled by a pure species. People have suggested to release them for hunting because they are mules (sterile) and won't become invasive however when you have put all that money into raising and growing them you would have been better off raising and releasing the species native to that area. Introduced gamebirds species almost never take hold when released in the wild in the US (ringneck/golden pheasants are the only real success story), most of the states in the union released tens of thousands of chukars each year back in the 50s and 60s and there are only a handful of established populations in the US localized to very small areas.

Cant stress enough that the process required to breed them is not humane and is likely to end in the hen you use being killed or at least severely brutalized by her mate.

The Bob birds "purpose" as a sterile species is such that it does not corrupt/weaken/alter the genetic material of the wild population by introducing inferior traits bred out of captive populations if a released bird happens to breed with wild populations.

While I do think that we should do what is best for our animals, I do not think the brutalization of the mate is related to inter-species breeding as much as breeding an aggressive to a docile bird.

I think a soon as we decide to play god we must shoulder the consequences and bring intelligent decision making to breeding rather than breeding on whims or laziness. If you have a reason to breed them together, then do so cautiously with intent, but if you really want more coturnix or more bobwhites, trade for appropriate genders or buy more as others have hinted...

Back
Top Bottom